MY KEEPS CUTTING OUT, LOSING POWER

2000 Vauxhall Corsa • 100,000 miles

After the engine has warmed up, at low range rev's its cutting out, seems to be on slowing down/junctions etc. Went on holiday for a week, so cars been idle although no problems before we went away and also the car was MOT'd the week before we went. Not very educated in cars im afraid and don't really know where to start. I've been told it could be a few different things. Coil, fuel pump, crank shaft.
Please please help, MOT just cost me £300 & not sure how much more I can afford : (

Cathbland@live.co.uk

I believe it is nothing serious. The idle control system is not functioning correctly and when the idles is excessively low, engine would stall.

Cleaning the throttle body and Idle Air Control valve should solve the problem.

Thanks for replying so quickly! When the car stopped 2 days ago, I had to use my breakdown cover with the AA. The guy looked at the car & said the idle system was fine as it's ticking over with no problems. It only seems to happen after about 10mins of driving, when it's warm, I then let it cool and it will start and go for a short while. So very confused

When engine is started initially, the idling speed would be higher as the cold start system is commanded to increase the speed. As the operating increases, the cold start system would be disabled and this is when the idling speed would go down.

Under normal circumstances, the engine idling speed would be around 750 rpm and if idle air flow is reduced by restriction due to accumulated dirt inside the throttle body, especially around the area where the throttle plate closes, the idling speed would loer.

The IAC is not faulty, it is just dirty reducing the volume of air to pass through and lowering the idling speed.

You mentioned the car stopped 2 days ago, what was the problem? If the battery was disconnected, the engine computer needs to relearn and this would result in erratic idling with possibility of stalling. Some running would allow the computer to stabilise the idling speed and cleaning the throttle body and IAC would expediate the process. There are only good to be achieved by this process and no harm whatsoever.

It was the same issue two days ago. I was pulling up to lights and the engine died no coughing it took two attempts and then it started. I put petrol in it and continued. Then it stalled at another set of lights and refused to start until it cooled down. Battery has only been disconnected if it happens when doing an MOT

I would still suggest cleaning the throttle body and IAC.

Thanks you've been very helpful.

You're welcome.

My car corsa 1.4 sri 16v 2001 just over 55000 has been doing the same thing just cuts out for no reason takes a couple of attempts of ticking over to start the car bk up

Mitzy15
Is the Malfunction Indicator Light showing?
Have you performed the tests as advised in earlier replies?

All the lights come on as if you put the key and they light to start bk up but none constant or flashing have had problems with the engine light flashing in the past went in 5 time no problem cud never ever be found hasn't been bk since havdnt done that yet will have to find a man lol I have t got a clue lol Will let u know how it goes

Mitzy15