KIA SPORTAGE CLUTCH PROBLEM

2000 Kia Sportage • 103,000 miles

For the past 6 years our sportage will all of a sudden not start, it will run excellent for a few weeks to a few months and then one day it will not start. After letting it sit eventually it does start and then it will be ok till the next time. My mechanic can not find the problem as the check engine light does not come on [it is working]. The dealer charged $1500.00 for a new gas tank [ claimed that it was rusted inside] and changed the fuel pump still the problem continues. We have had the mother board changed {my mechanic} the fuel filter, sensors, . The dealer claims that they found 2 grounds but did not elaborate where they were. Have changed the clutch safety switch. The clutch makes a sqeaky sound when sitting in traffic and has a light grind feeling to it. We love this vehicle and it runs like new except for this issue could it be a ground, or maybe in the clutch, transmission that causes it not to start. There is no smell of electrical over heat. Please help
Henrycolon

When it does not start, does it crank the motor?

Yes it does, it feels like it wants to start almost like it is not getting gas, however once what ever it is falls in place it cranks right up with no hesitation. When it is working right the start up is immediate upon turning the key.

Henrycolon
Very difficult to diag with the car let alone from here without seeing it or touching it.

Did anyone check for any history codes?

I would start with fuel pressure test. I would be suspect of the crank sensor. Mass air flow sensors have been known to cause issues like this as well.

Just to add, that fuel tank you had done had a recall from kia for that. Did you submit a bill to kia for this?

Thank you, we were not made aware of this, they claimed that they found rust in the tank and being the so called pros we did not question it. How does one submit a bill to Kia. I have looked for a corporate address in the past with no luck.

Henrycolon
You can call the dealer for that info. Have them run your vin number as there were several recalls that you may not have had done. Get a copy of your receipt from the shop and forward it to them for them to give you back the money

Thank you very much we will get right on this.

Henrycolon