BRAKES

1999 Ford F-150 • V8 2WD Automatic • 180,000 miles

Yes I have a 1999 ford f150 4.6 and I just can't get my brakes to get right. I changed the brakes, rotors and I even bleed them, but they go down too far when I press them still. What can I do?
Rufusporter

Your master cylinder could be bad.

JIS001
Thank you.

Rufusporter
Could it be that you are not using a proper bleeding procedure?

Once I saw a feller open his bleeders, one at a time, then pump like crazy, then close 'em up, sorta a one man procedure! Lol. Said that was correct way to do it!

That's why I ask. How you been doing it?

The Medic

I have been bleeding them one at a time.

Rufusporter
My Bench bleeding ain't on the bench...it's on the vehicle!

Much EZer that way!

This can be done on the vehicle (my preference) using two people, one pumping and one monitoring the Master Cylinder.

I wrap string loops around the little hoses and tie a knot, as to keep the tubes from blowing off of the plastic adapters.

I take it one step further, by squeezing the little hoses with my fingers (as if I were a check valve) The VERY SLOW PUMPING OF THE PEDAL will push the fluid into the reservoir, SCOOTING BY MY PINCHING, but the pinch will not allow it TO S.UCK AIR BACK, as you see in the beginning of this video....My way makes things faster, but if you did not tie the hoses to the adapters--THEY WILL BLOW LOOSE (lots of adjectives will be bust loose out of your mouth!)

This is very similar to my way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Jhbz4mVKw&feature=related

xbleeding

This is the basic bleeding procedure I use:

KEEP FLUID IN THE RESERVOIR AT ALL TIMES/ CONSTANTLY CHECKING!

START WITH FURTHEST OUT WHEEL CYLINDER, FROM THE MASTER CYLINDER, WORKING TO THE CLOSEST (RR, LR, RF, LF)

2 PEOPLE, ONE PUMPING, OTHER BLEEDING AND REFILLING

#1 man is the Bleeder

#2 man is the Pump Man

1-MAN BREAKS BLEEDER LOOSE-SNUGS IT BACK YELLS, "PUMP IT UP"

2 MAN-PUMPS 6-8 TIMES (YELLS "PUMPING") THEN HOLDS PEDAL--YELLS, "HOLDING"

1-MAN CRACKS BLEEDER...AIR/ FLUID SPURTS OUT

2-MAN YELL, "FLOOR", JUST BEFORE THE PEDAL, ACTUALLY HITS THE FLOOR

1-MAN TIGHTENS THE BLEEDER....WHILE IT IS STILL SPURTING OUT (NOT AFTER IT STOPS...OR IT WILL SUCK AIR BACK IN).....THEN YELLS, "OKAY---PUMP IT UP"

PROCESS STARTS OVER UNTIL YOU ARE SATISFIED, WITH EACH WHEEL

THIS DOES NOT MATTER WHETHER THEY ARE DRUM BRAKES OR DISC.

ON DRUM BRAKES:

YOU SHOULD ALREADY HAVE THE SELF-ADJUSTERS PUSHING THE SHOES CLOSE TO THE DRUMS, SHOES SLIGHTLY TOUCHING THE DRUMS , BEFORE YOU DO THE BLEEDING PROCEDURE.....THIS WILL KEEP YOU PEDAL AT THE TOP AND TIGHT.

I PREFER THIS OVER USING THE ONE MAN, HOSE AND CUP, METHOD WHERE YOU SUBMERGE THE HOSE AND PUMP....TO ME THIS IS FASTER AND MUCH EZer.

IS THIS THE WAY YOU APPROACHED YOURS?

Thank you so much. But that is how I do it and it did not work. Brakes are not just hard enough, My wife has a 2002 ford explore sport and I just love her brakes I mean thay are tight and just right.

Rufusporter
Well Sir,

As stated toward the top, your master cylinder could be bad.

It's kinda like 2 pistons on one shaft, except the pistons are "O" rings

The shaft operates 2 systems--front brakes and the other, rear brakes

Should a problem be encountered w/ either "O" ring, you still are able to stop, with the other system.

This could be an issue.A leaky "O" ring

Another possibility is a proportioning valve---its kinda balances the pressures between front and rear---Sorta like new shower valves, flush the crapper and you do not get scalded, as with older non-balancing valves!

Then you got ABS. Should be "FTWDNKHTUB". For Those Who Do Not Know How To Use Brakes! This has got to be the most complicated system on a car!

Heck, you cannot scan the codes, unless you invest some major $$$ for a scanner, or pay the man. This too, could be an issue.

But out of all I have personally encountered.

In case you haven't gathered by my "Handle", Imma Jeep CJ kinda guy, and my heart lies with them and older Fords. See the Jeep CJ 5 & 7 forums, I excel there.

The biggest thing I see with a vehicle with a low pedal, is they just don't adjust their shoes out enough!

You can get kinda close, by removing the drum, rotate the self adjuster, spreading the shoes apart, then, install the drum. Do this until your drum will just kinda EZily go back on, without it being too tight, and you have to fight it on.

I'm pretty sure you do not have drums, yours is disc all the way around?

I'm sorry that I could not magically provide you an EZ fix, There are the other things I mentioned which might play a role, or have special procedures to get the pedal up. 'Bout all I can throw at you.

Others here, can still jump in and save the day.I hope so, I hate to see someone leave. Who Really Tried. With their head hung low

xbleed

Thanks for puttin' up with me!

The Medic

Well thank you to for your time as well.

Rufusporter