ENGINE TURNS OVER BUT WON'T FIRE

1998 GMC Sonoma • 28,800 miles

2.2 liter 1998 Sonoma died on the road. It turns over but won't start it was running fine, but now it won't start. With nearly 300,000 miles on it. It was running pretty good, died while waiting for a stoplight. I pushed it off the road and it turns over fine but acts like it won't fire.
Jstu60

Scan for codes, check for spark and check your fuel pressure.

I have been told that it will do me no good to scan for codes if the engine is not running. Should I check for spark by removing plug wire and then go from there?

Jstu60
Whoever toldyou it won't do anygood to scan for codes doesn't know much about todays cars. If something failed it will be stored in the computer sensor wise. And yes check for spark it shold be very big and blue, stick a screwdrive in it and don't put your hands on the wire because of shock. But check your fuel pressure if you dont' have a gauge you'll need apro do it. But you can open the gas cap and have someone turn on the key and listen for a short buzzing sound from tank to see if pump is working.

Thank you for the response. I went out to the location where the location where it is stranded and it does have spark, however it is more of a yellow. The fuel sending unit does not make any noise when the ignition is engaged.I exchanged the fuel pump relay with a working one and the engine failed to start. I am assuming that the fuel pump has probably failed. Do you think this is the problem?
By the way the person that told me the code reader would do me no good is from Oreilley's Aoutoparts Seymour, Indiana.

Jstu60
It figures with the O'Reillys guys, they are parts guys not mechancs. Whypeople would ever beleive them to fix a car is beyond me, to really see if it's a fuel pump you'll have to put a guage on it, maybe Oriellys will have one to rent your fuel pressure shold be 41-47 psi if below that then fix that an it will probably start. By the way best and easiest way to fix pump is if you have helpers around take the box off, there are only 8 bolts and a electrical connection to remove. You don't need to take it righ toff just lside it back soyou can reach teh pump in the tank, otherwise you have to drop the tank, much harder to do

Once again Thanks. The truck belongs to a friend of mine who is dying from cancer, he was on his way to a lab in Bloomington, IN. No funds to tow or get to a regular tech. I called a few places and found an aftermarket pump for $175.I will have to install it in the parking lot where it is stranded. So you're saying slide the bed back and pull the old one out then drop in the new from the top and that should cure the problem? Do you think I should be able to do this in a parking lot and how long should it take? I will have to do it on Thanksgiving day.

Jstu60
You'll need helpto lift teh bed ifyou are going to do it that way. And the aftermarket pump may be just the pump and not the complete sending unit. If it's just the pump you have to take teh old one apart and repplace that. If its' a unit you just take the old one out and put the new unit in and hook everything up. You'll need a special tool to remove the fuel linesyou may be able to do this in 2 hours, maybe sooner depending on your ability. To remove lines, push towards the pump, insert tool and reomve line.

I have the fuel pump powering up and I have replaced Fuel filter. I have spark and it still won't start. Could this be timing chain or maybe a module? I didn't think that I would get spark with timing belt gone or am I wrong?

Jstu60
If the timing belt were gone an dit jumped time the car wouldnot start plus it would damage the engine. Have a pro look at it, if you are getting both fuel and spark somehting else is wrong with it.