DODGE DAKOTA ENGINE PROBLEM

1998 Dodge Dakota • 96,000 miles

Trk started running bad I took it in thought it was the fuel pump. It would stall out on me. The guy said he tested the fuel pump and it was good. He said it needed a tune up so he put new plugs and wires complete tuneup. I pick it up and it ran good for 2 days thn it started stalling out ck engine light came on and it was backfiring out I'd tailpipe. Took it back to guy he put a new distr cap. And crank shaft sensor pick it up drove it one day and it doing the same thing again. Any suggestions?

You may need to check cylinder compression. Any applicable trouble codes? I believe you can check codes yourself on this vehicle by cycling the ignition switch, you turn key just till the dash lites come on, no further, no crank. Cycle the key on--off, on--off, on, the the mil on the dash starts flashing, you count the flashes to get the codes. Your looking for two digit codes.

My bad, the mil method will not work on this vehicle according to my info. What is litre size of engine? Other things that can cause backfiring. Ignition timing--- vacuum leaks--exhaust problems-- other.

At the least, you need an obd2 code reader to check codes, yourself. Some of the national brand autostores used to check codes for free.