WHY DOES MY CAR RANDOMLY SHUT OFF WHILE DRIVING? AS IF I JUST TURNED THE KEY OFF?

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse • 163,000 miles

It has happened a few times now, and is recent. Never have had this issue before. I was driving and suddenly the car just shut off. I pulled off to the side of the road, and tried starting it again, nothing. No fire. I couldn't tell if it was lacking fuel or spark. Check engine light has been on with no real driving issues, got the code reader out and it said I need a new rear o2 sensor. I bought the car with out it and its driven me all over the place till now. I take good care of my eclipse I dont beat on it. One thing I have noticed was the idle is a little bit high sits at about 1100. One one freak event I watched the idle bounce but it hasnt done that since. Please please help me at least put me in the right direction.

Thanks!
chris
Iowaoutlaw

I would look at the distributor as it is a common failure.

Look at the fuel pressure as well to verify the pump.

My 97 is run off a coil. Not so much a distributor. But thank you for the advice hopefully I can get my baby back on the road

Iowaoutlaw
Check the crankshaft position sensor on the back passenger side of the engine.

Anthony taylor
Have you rechecked for codes since the stalling?

Djcl