COOLING SYSTEM

1995 Ford Ranger • 150,000 miles

My son was driving when he heard a strange noise from under the hood and what he thought was smoke. I later determined that it was steam that he saw. He said coolant was leaking all over the place, and after looking, I determined that the water pump had failed. I replaced the water pump and after checking the thermostat, it and the thermostat housing both needed replacing. After doing all of this work, I filled the radiator up with fluid and it wasn't leaking. I started the truck up and inspected again, nothing. I thought the problem was fixed but after ideling for about 5 minutes, I looked underneath and sure enough, was leaking fluid again. Looking through the beam of a flashlight, it appears that the fluid is coming from above and/or around the thermostat housing. I know it is sealed well, it was such a pain in the ass to get the damn thing back in, but I know it has. Or should have a good seal. Also, there is a knocking sound coming from the engine. Any ideas or suggestions would be very helpful. I checked the oil and couldn't see any water in it and checked the water coming out for the tell tale sign of a rainbow, indicating petroleum products, and couldn't find any. Thanks and I look forward to talking with you.
Wlewalt

What size engine is it? 2.3, 3.0, or 4.0L?

Seangrant00
I'm sorry, it is a 2.3

Wlewalt
I have attached a disclaimer from Ford about the thermostat housing that may be the problem. With the knocking noise, this could be the valves. BG oil sells a additive that suppresses the noise that can be added to the crankcase. Hope this helps! Let me know

Seangrant00
Thank you but I didn't quit comprehend what I just read, and I read it a few times. Guess I'll take the damn thing apart, again to see if I can see what I'm looking at compared to what I'm reading in that disclaimer

Wlewalt
Basically where the thermostat rests in the housing, the placement of the gasket is often on the wrong side and the water outlet has to be turned to seats correctly. I attached another image that gives definitions to each item.

Seangrant00
Ok, I've got this pain in the ass apart again but am still a bit confused. Does the thermostat fit over the gasket or under it? I took some pictures to show what I'm looking at, can I send them to you? I'm starting to get real frustrated and would like to do it right this time. Thank you very much for your help

Wlewalt
Yes you should be able to load them up on here, if not my email is seangrant00@gmail. Com

Here are some pictures of the system that are a little larger.

The gasket goes on the engine side.

Seangrant00