WATER PUMP REPLACEMENT

1988 Ford Ranger • 2.9L 6 cylinder •

I am trying to replace the water pump on a 1988 Ford Ranger 2.9 L. I need to know how to loosen the belts to get them off in order to take off the old pump and replace it. I am not sure what the belt tensioner looks like/where its located or how to access it. I have googled this amd also tried to find a video on YouTube/the inyernet with NO luck. Help! Thanks!
Caseyn

Here are belt diagrams. Let me know if they help.

I dont see the diagrams.. Just the message. Maybe bc im using my phone?

Caseyn
Could you maybe email me them? Tootsnpowder@gmail. Com and how do I loosen them in order to properly remove them? Thanks!

Caseyn
http://www.2carpros.com/diagrams/ford/ranger/1988

You may not have an automatic tensioner. Look through the page I listed above as well as the picture attached. Let me know which is the same as yours.

Well I came to realize earlier that the 2.9L doesnt have a tensioner. The AC, power steering and alternator move to allow the belts to loosen (you loosen a few bolts on each one to allow it to move.). BUT now we have another problem. One of the bolts that needs to loosen on the alternator looks like it was put in backwards causing it to be unreachable (removing everything to get to the back side is not an option). Maybe I am not seeing the right bolts? Idk. And then one of the bolts I think I need to loosen from the AC is NOT a bolt. Its just the thread with a nut on it. So even when I take the nut off the thread is still there. Causing me to be unable to move it. This is becoming real pain and I just want it done!

Caseyn
This truck operates on the 3 belt system.

Caseyn
Okay, you're right. You need to loosen the parts you described to me. As far as the threaded bolt and nut, you should be able to tap the bolt out of the component. I don't think it would be threaded into place as well as have a nut on the end. Also, the bolt you said you couldn't access, what is in it's way? If it was put in, there must be a way to remove it.

There are a bunch of hoses and all kinds of small stuff in the way of that bolt. As for the thread. I'm thinking the bolt was originally to big for the part and the head broke off. That someone was lazy and put a nut on there instead of replacing. This is a friends truck my bf took as a side job to be kind and its became a pain n the ass. EVERYTHING is completely rusted. I am gonna try to use vice grips I guess on the bolt thread. As for the other one idk yet

Caseyn
Just make sure there isn't another nut or the head of a bolt on the opposite side. As far as the vice grips, that may be the only option. Make sure to spray it down with penetrating fluid before you try.

As far as the one that is hard to get to, carefully move things out of the way. Also, are you sure you couldn't get a box or open ended wrench on it?

Gonna finish (hopefully) in the AM. Its gotten really late. I think I can get the backwards bolt off in the daylight (I used drip light the last few hrs.). As for the bolt thread. Its in there pretty good. Vice grips are doing nothing other than attempting to strip the bolt. I tried hammering it out with no such luck. Any suggestions? I thought about maybe trying to drill it out. But not sure hpw I feel about that yet.

Caseyn