REPLACING WATER PUMP

2004 Ford Ranger • 150,000 miles

The OEM fan clutch wrench set is too thick to fit in between the pulley and the water pump. I do not know where to buy a thinner a wrench.

The final bolt (top right) on the water pump is blocked by the tensioner unit/compressor/ power steering pumps (they are all bolted together). What do I do there?

In the manual its says that I 'may' have to the remove the all those extra parts, it seems like that is more than I should be doing. What am I supposed to do?
Cnix3

What is engine liter size? The procedure may vary depending on which engine. As far as the clutch, the 3.0L engine says to use strap wrench and 7/8 wrench. The 4.0L engine shows two specialty wrenches, one is part # 303-239 the other is part # 303-240. Of course those are ford part numbers. The clutch nuts are left hand thread.

In the past, If the only wrench I had that might work but was a little too thick, I used a bench grinder and made it a little thinner. I also had an issue one time where the closest open end wrench size I had was a little too small, I used a die grinder and opened up the jaws. Might not sound very professional but it worked. Got me out of a bind.

Hey, well the funny part is that I actually figured this out but ran into another problem. The battery literally died sitting on the concrete and AAA tested it as bad, alternator is fine. Now it runs in park and neutral, but not in drive or reverse!

I have no idea what could be causing this other then a sensor now out.
Ford Ranger 2004 XLT 3.0L V6

Cnix3
It wasn't doing this before you worked on it? If not, maybe something needs to reset because battery voltage was lost? How long did you let it idle before you tried to take off?

Any way you can check for applicable trouble codes? May not help anything. At the moment, I don't know what's going on?