TRANS NOT SHIFTING

1994 Saturn SW2 • 93,000 miles

Transmission stuck in 3rd gear. No shifting, hard gear engadgement, no lockup of torqe convertor, no error codes from computor trans shop said internal wiring harness needs repair replace, I cant find internal harness listed anywere as part. Solinoids in valve body check out(ohms). Not a bad solinoid bus plate! Estimate says shifter indexing correct. Could this be a shift indicator switch problem (have not checked switch yet, hard to get to) seems to me like a ground problem all fuses good, trans relay good. May be ground strap to trans? Car starts in third with no shifting no tc lockup no overdrive and harsh reverse engadgement trans does not downshift when lower gears are selected wile driving. Trans shop said it is a minor problem (but wont be specific) if I can repair it myself it would save a bit of money.
Hawknapp

If your starting in third gear you should have codes is the check engine light on while the engine is running?Who told you it doesnt have codes the vague transmission shop that wont tell you whats wrong with your car?Did you pay them for diagnoses from them?

Should be defaulting to 2nd gear when there is a problem with the transmission it defaults to 2nd not third. It would be really hard for the car to take off in third gear.

First of all thank you for your time on this as I am very "skimp" at the moment. As for my car it may very well be in second gear but engine rpm is not excessive although take off is very slow.I do not seem to have a "check engine light" on, perhaps I should connect a code reader to the port for the hell of it? This is a listing of diagnosis given on estimate

atf1= atf clean
sh1a= shifter (prndl) indexing correct
dtc2= dtc, s no communication
dr= harsh reverse engagement
r3= third gear starts
q4= no 3-4 upshift
q7= no lockup
low coolant light is on but system is not low

did not pay for the check (free) but possibly that, s why I got so little info (i may just not understand what im looking at)
any help you can give me would be a godsend. Im still thinking it's a ground problem as it "appears" that none of the solinoid's
in the valve body are actuating? Have checked ground side of relays to fuse block for continuity (all good)but have not checked source side to pcm (were is pcm?) Could a single broken wire on one solinoid cause such a condition (no lockup, no shifting, high line pres ect)? The only inside wire I can think of other than the valve body solinoids would be the clutch for tq converter lockup, that's only part of the problem and that should throw me some codes! Faulty gear shift selector switch should also throw me some codes, am I correct? Also faulty turbine(engine)speed sensor should give me codes? Possibly fried bulb in check engine light(better borrow me a code reader) this seems unlikely to me. Faulty ground strap to tranny? Test light says "no" but that, s not the same as a big thick strap! Don't be afraid to get to teki on me as I have worked in electronics field for a time(repaired smt machines) but autos are not my forte(i hate to work on car's rrrrrr)again any insight into this is welcomed (even more by po boy like me) thanks

hawknapp

Hawknapp
So you have a delay bang into reverse?

No delay it just goes into gear very hard r and d, also in the past sometimes there would be a delay in reverse engagement tranny fluid was up, a minor thing so I didnt think much of it.
Could this be associated with my current prob?

Hawknapp
Those transmissions are great there main weakness is pressure issues inside the transmission. Too high of pressure amd too low of pressure. What happens is the pressure regulator bore gets worn and or the buffer spring breaks. Causing the regulator to stick or deliver the incorrect pressure thats the number one failure on that transmission.

And this would cause all the problems I listed?

Hawknapp
The incorrect pressure can cause it to bang into reverse and drive also cause the transmission to slip and cause the transmission to go into limp mode and start out in 2nd gear. Heres what I would do first check for codes see which ones I have then most likely do a pressure test. Get me the know numbers and we will go from there. Do you know how to use a jumper wire to read the engine and transmission codes?

Yes I do (now). Will check and get back to you thanks!

Hawknapp
Remember the transmission codes flash thru the low coolant light.