EMERGENCY BRAKES

1994 Ford Ranger • 4 cylinder Manual • 300,000 miles

Hi, I just change the rear brakes on my 94 Ford Ranger 4 cylinder two wheel drive 9 inch drums brakes; I can not turn the wheels by hand, I parked on a hill and put the shift in neutral and the truck did not roll. When I check the emergency brake cable it is tight, I can not fine an adjustment on the emergency brake cable, I adjusted the auto adjuster on the brake shoes all the way in as far as they will go. My question is they any other way I can adjust the emergency brake cable or free the wheels up?
Oauto

Unless you were having easy rear wheel lockup or the parking brake cables were previously over-adjusted, I don't think the adjustment is the problem. Ford has more than their share of sticking cables that don't fully release and that will cause the problem you're having.

To check for that, first check if both shoes are resting against the anchor pin on top of the backing plate. Next, use your thumb to push the parking brake strut rod against the anti-rattle spring pressure. That bar should move easily at least 1/8". If either of those observations don't turn out to be true, flex the parking brake cable with both hands, somewhere behind the backing plate and watch to see if one of the shoes moves outward a little. If it does, the cable is sticking. Use a pry bar to pry the parking brake lever, (hanging behind the rear shoe) rearward, then check the strut rod again for a little free play.

I never had any problems with the brakes locking up before I change the shoes.
The Brake cable was sticking and I free it up. The strut rod was tight with the spring compressed all the way. The emergency cable that is going the full length of the undercarriage has tension on it as if the emergency brake is on, it is not on.

Where is the adjustment for the emergency brake located?

I had adjusted the self adjustments all the way in when I replaced the brakes.

Oauto
There are two designs of parking brake. One is automatic adjusting. It has a toothed lever that drops down onto the pedal when you push it. If it is tight when the pedal is released, then the front cable is sticking. You should be able to pull on it under the truck unless it is rusted solid. If you have the manually adjusted system, look for a nut on the end of a threaded rod either at the end of the front cable where it connects to the intermediate cable or on the side where it attaches to the frame.

When you found the strut rod that is tight, you found the reason the brakes are tight. You really shouldn't have to adjust the parking brake cable unless someone made it tighter before.