CAR NOT STARTING..DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO

1993 Toyota Celica • 200,000 miles

Ok. Here goes.I posted up a question about a month ago and alas the car is still not working : ) I definitely appreciated the answers and the input which is why im asking again.

my battery is fully charged.I had the car when it was running tested at autozone(the starter and ignition test) and the person who ran the test informed me that everything was working fine.

several weeks later, my car just wouldn't start. My roomate suggested to try jumping it. So we did. And it started.

Several days later, the car was just dead again. I put the key in, all the dash lights come on, but as soon as I turn the key it just goes click, and all my dash lights go off, I lose all power.

So we tried to jump it again. We sat there for about a half hour letting the battery get a charge, thinking it was dead. Tried to start it and alls I was hearing was just a very fast clicking sound, like the car wanted to turn over but it just didnt have enough juice to do so.

for shits and giggles I had the battery tested again, battery was still good. My car has been sitting in the same parking spot at my apartment and im very scared some ass hat is gonna tow it but thats another matter.
i dont know what else to do.

I know there was an anti theft system in it when I purchased the car from some dude. That was causing the car to not start sometimes. But after I unplugged the anti theft, it ran fine for a while. Now something is just draining my power some where and I cant get it to start.

in the lower left hand kick panel, in the fuses, there is a square black plug which says relay on it. When I turn the key I would get like a clicking or a popping sound from it.

i know nothing about wiring.I've downloaded every wiring diagram on 93 celicas that I can get my hands on. Im also thinking maybe the ignition switch? But I think the bottom line is the person who installed the anti theft didnt know what the hell he was doing and seriously messed up my wiring.

any ideas? Id appreciate some feed back. If you read through this whole thing? I appreciate it even more. Just trying to be as descriptive as I can

thanks again
mike

When a jump start works, it means the starter is not getting the required capacity of power supplied.

With a good battery and the symptoms described, I believe you have a loose connections somewhere. Try cleaning the battery terminals and retighten them accordingly. Check for a bad ground cable to the transmission.

The next time this occurs, instead of a jump start, clamp a jumper cable to the negative terminal of the battery and clamp the other end to any part of the engine or transmission that can provide a good ground and try starting. If you are able to crank easily, that would mean a bad ground circuit connection between the battery and engine/transmission.

Thanks for the input. : ) I believe im going to go attempt that now: )

If its a bad ground cable is it just one cable can I ask? Or is it a series of wires? Im horrible at electrical.
And is it also costly to fix?

The main ground cable is only one, from battery negative terminal to the transmission. It has a branch that is bolted to inner side fender.

There are other ground circuits between the engine and firewall with another between the engine and inner fender at timing belt end.

If the wire is corroded, you would need to replace it and the wire should not cost too much. The junk yard should have plenty of them.

Hey back again : ) I tried jumping it with one hooked up to the negative the other hooked to a spot on the engine. No start.
I removed the negative terminal cable, un bolted it. Im gonna try replacing it, hoping that works

Have you tested the battery voltage?

Yeah battery voltage was in the optimal range

KHLow2008 IS PROBABLY RIGHT

IF THIS IS "SIDE POST".....DO YOU KNOW HOW TO REMOVE THE BOLT AND SLIDE THE RUBBER COVER DOWN THE CABLE IN ORDER TO CLEAN THE "LOLLIPOP" CONTACT PORTION REALLY GOOD AS WELL AS THE SIDE-POST LEAD PORTION OF THE BATTERY??????

I HAVEN'T DONE IT YET, BUT I WILL SOON MAKE PICS OF THE PROCESS....SORRY IT'S NOT BEEN DONE YET

HERE'S A LITTLE MOTIVATION

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1996-chevrolet-tahoe-wont-start-sounds-dead-battery-jumpbox-get-same-reults

KEEP US UPDATED

I have the same exact car with about the same amount of miles and have the same exact problem, mine is stick shift. I have replaced the starter and battery, so I think that there is bad wiring somewhere. One thing I noticed is that when I leave my stereo on for a while, without my car running, most of the time it wont start. I need to address my wiring though. If I solve the problem I will be sure to post it

Alexq
Check the alternator charging.