CAR WILL CRANK, BUT SHUTS OFF WHEN I PUT IT IN GEAR.

1990 Toyota Camry • 118 miles

My car hasn't been driven in nearly a month and when I tried to crank it yesterday the battery was dead so I had to jump it off I didn't drive it much to allow the battery to charge and this morning when I had to jump it off again. It crunk no problem, I drove it about 2 miles up the road to a gas station and I left the car running while I went in to prevent the battery from going dead when I came back and got in it and put it in reverse, it went dead. It crunk back up but went dead again when I put it in gear. Then after that it would just turn over but not crank. I left the car there while I went to work and when I came back I jumped it off and it crunk, but it died again when I put it in reverse. Then it would only turn over but wouldn't start up A guy who was leaving the store said it sounded like it was something about the starter, I cant remeber exactly what he said but it wasnt the starter itself. Any idea what the problem is?
Hunterbarger

Starter would not make it stall.

First, get the battery and alternator tested. They are the first in your series of checks.

Alternator was replaced about 2 months ago. And the battery is less than a year old as well, any other idea of what it mite be? The guy who said it was something to do with the starter was a mechanic who was getting off work, he said it sounded like something to do with the starter wasnt firing. He said it was about 50 to fix. I just cant remember exactly what he said it was.

Hunterbarger
Still need to have the battery and alt tested no matter how old it is.

Does the starter turn over the motor or click

I hooked some jumper cables to the battery when I tried to start it. The first time it started, but after it went dead when I put in in gear, I tried starting it again but it would only turn over and not start. Then it would only click after I tried starting it for a while.

Hunterbarger
Ok, start with basic checks. Fuel pressure, compression and spark.

The dead battery has resulted in the engine computer losings its memory and this is affecting the idle control causing the stalling.

Repeated cranking with a half-charged battery can cause the starter to fail to work. I would sugggest getting the battery fully charged, which requires quite some charging time if it is the non-maintenance type and has been drained.

The computer needs to relearn after power is restored and it takes some time too and with the battery charge in poor condition, it would be more difficult to get it to run correctly. Cleaning the throttle body and IAC would help speed up things.