Where is crankshaft position sensor (CKP)

JON FALKENBERG
  • 2003 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO
I took my car to have codes checked. I included the list of codes. AutoZone printout suggested replacing CKP. I am not sure where it is located.
Monday, January 9th, 2017 AT 6:31 PM

How did you drive it there if the crank sensor is bad? Parts store people only understand selling parts. You will notice that none of this huge list of fault codes says to replace a part. They never do. Fault codes only indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis, or the unacceptable operating condition. When a part is referenced in a fault code, that part is actually the cause of the code about half of the time. First we have to rule out wiring and connector terminal problems, and mechanical problems associated with a sensor. That is even more true when you have a list of codes like this. Either someone was playing around under the hood while the ignition switch was on, and disconnected numerous things, or the best suspect is something all these things have in common. That would be a major connector in the engine wiring harness.

On GM products you also have to consider charging system problems. Now that you have these codes recorded for reference, erase them, then see which ones set again.

What symptom are you trying to solve? If you have an elusive running problem, see if it clears up momentarily when you unplug the smaller plug on the rear/side of the generator.
Monday, January 9th, 2017 AT 6:45 PM
Here is the sensor locations from Mitchell ProDemand.
Monday, January 9th, 2017 AT 6:53 PM