2000 Volvo S40 Fuel pump

MGAASTRA
  • 2000 VOLVO S40
Other Category problem
2000 Volvo S40 Engine Size unknown Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 69,000 miles

Hi,

Should my feul pump be running after the ignition is turned off? Seems like that is the reason why my battery keeps dying.'
Saturday, January 5th, 2008 AT 3:07 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there, the fuel pump should not run with the ignition turned off, you may have a faulty relay. The fuel pump relay is called the systems relay No 2/14 below.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/61395_volvo_1.jpg

Start here,

Saturday, January 5th, 2008 AT 3:46 PM
MGAASTRA
Hi Mark,

Thanks for responding to my question. Is that diagram for S40 2000 model? We looked tried all the relays in the box, and removing one at a time, and none would stop the fuel pump.

In the diagram on my engine box that contains the fuses and the relays:
2/10= AC compress
2/11 = Radiator Fan 2
2/14 = Engine
2/15 = Radiator Fan 1

Nothing saying Systems relay or fuel pump relay.
-1
Sunday, January 6th, 2008 AT 1:48 PM
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

OK, I will get back into the data base and re check, the information did say that the fuel pump relay was called the system relay. I will look at the schematic drawing to see if anything else shows up, I will post my findings, soon. Just be aware that I am not in the USA, as there is a time difference to consider when posting.

Mark (mhpautos) In Australia.
Sunday, January 6th, 2008 AT 4:19 PM
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Fuel pump is powered by fuse No20 15 Amp. Fuel pump relay is Fuel system relay in fuse & relay box. This is the only information given, Now if the relay is pulled and the pump is still active, check for power at the red wire, terminal 3 of the relay, if this is active there is a back feed of voltage from another source, which will require investigation hands on by an auto electrician, The fuel pump will stop if fuse No 20 is pulled. As there is nothing else down line to feed power to the pump. The diagram is rather complex so I will take a bit of time to look for a likely problem where a back feed may occur.

-1
Sunday, January 6th, 2008 AT 4:50 PM
MGAASTRA
Hey, Beggars can't be choosers. I appreciate any help from anybody anytime.

Thanks a lot!

Cyrus
Sunday, January 6th, 2008 AT 8:51 PM