GLT (STALLING/VERY ROUGH IDLE

1997 Volvo 850

Digits1975

May, 31, 2009 AT 3:18 PM

1997 Volvo 850 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 196000 miles

Hello guys! I started having a problem the other day when I drove to a store and had the AC going! I came back out and the car wouldn't start for several minutes. When it did start it idled very rough and then just smoothed out! Driving back to my house it started hesitating and stalled right there! It started up and then died after a few seconds. I had the fuel filter change and it ran beautiful untill I stopped the car and went to restart it and the same very rough idle and died! Any answers would be greatly welcome!

manuelcollazo

August, 7, 2012 AT 3:55 AM

Check the idle control valve, if it's dirty the car kswill misbehave, if is not then move to some more serious stuff like the fuel pump, if you run your car near empty all the time pumps overheat and burn the copper contacts and the gas pressure will diminish until the pump runs no more. Forgot to mention the fuel pump relay, sometimes the platinum wears and it sticks in the close position and the electromagnet don't have enough force to break the weld it creates.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Cylinder Head Valve Job Guide
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8