BALL JOINTS

1996 Volvo 850

Border

February, 12, 2008 AT 2:00 PM

Steering problem
1996 Volvo 850 Engine Size unknown Two Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

I just had my rear brakes put on my car and while it was in the shop I asked them to do a front end alignment. The shop said they did not do the alignment because I needed new ball joints. Is there a handling characteristic or symptom if the ball joints are bad, such as shimmying or something? The reason I wanted an alignment is I just replaced the front tires. They wore prematurely and showed the steel belt on the inside of each front tire after about 20,000 miles. What do the ball joints do and what would happen if I do not replace them?

Thanks,
Scott

Jack42

February, 12, 2008 AT 3:28 PM

They are the lower pivot point for the spindle, which is what the brakes and tires mount to. What you describe from the wear it could be bad ball joints, does it feel loose when you go over a bump?

Border

February, 12, 2008 AT 3:32 PM

No. I have not noticed any looseness when I go over a bump.

Thanks,
Scott

Jack42

February, 12, 2008 AT 4:06 PM

Doesnt mean they arent bad. Might want to have them done if nothing else to keep it from screwing up anymore tires

Replace Ball Joints Like a Pro
Replace Tie Rod End
Sway Bar Link Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Shock Replacement - Front Chevrolet Silverado