1990 VOLVO 740 BLOWING HOT AIR

• Rob_Zombie2002
  • 1990 Volvo 740

Air Conditioning problem
1990 Volvo 740 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 138000 miles

First off, I LOVE your site, yall have helped me make a profit on every vehicle I've traded or sold. I just got this car yesterday, I prefer american cars but I had no choice in the matter (money issues). The AC doesn't blow cold air, it blows good, but it won't cool the air. I was just wondering how to go about figuring out what the problem is so I can fix it myself, or take it to a mechanic if it is to high risk of a job.

Friday, July 18th, 2008 AT 10:37 AM

• KHLow2008

Hi Rob,

You need to check if the compressor is working and is there enough freon in the system.

Saturday, August 2nd, 2008 AT 9:43 AM
  • BAinCA

Hi, I have the same problem with my Volvo (1990 740 GL, 163K mi). Air blows when I turn on the AC, but it's hot air. I'm not much of a mechanic, but I'm good with directions--is there a way for *me* to check if my compressor and/or freon level needs replacement? (And, if I can ascertain that those are fine, is there a way for me to check on the the condenser and evaporator?) Or do I have to take it all in to a mechanic? Thanks!

-1
Thursday, August 28th, 2008 AT 7:24 PM
  • KHLow2008

Hi BAinCA,

When AC is turned on, the compressor should be working. If the clutch is not turning with the engine, you need to test if power is being supplied to the clutch coil.

If no power present, it could be due to lack of freon or faulty power sources which can be blown fuse or faulty relay.

To test compressor, apply power to the coil wires and you should hear a click.

To test freon you need a pressure gauge, you can try asking at your local Autozone outlet.

Friday, August 29th, 2008 AT 6:27 AM