WAGON

1987 Volvo 240

joewright3

February, 10, 2007 AT 5:16 PM

For the past six months I have been trying to locate a really frustrating engine misfire problem on a Volvo 240 station wagon.
I am now at a point where I will not let this car beat me but I am competely lost as to what to do next so hopefully some kind person can give me a few suggestions.
The engine misses in open and closed loop across all cylinders. No fault light on the dash. The engine starts second time, I always have to turn the key enough to engage the starter then let go, I sit and wait for the fuel pump to pump the fuel to the engine and I can hear this happening. Once the pump stops pumping the car will start as soon as I turn the key for a second time.
I have new plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor. I have a new PCV valve no vacuum leaks but vacum test shows 17 hg. I am near New York city so close to sea level. I have installed a new fuel regulator, swapped the mass air intake, swapped ignition timing unit in engine compartment and the ECU inside the passager foot compartment. I have installed a new wiring harness, clean thotle body, replaced intake manifold gasket. Compresion test show 140 which is low but within tolerance - or so I am told. I have checked and set timing. Oxygen sensor and temperature sensors are giving correct voltage signels. I did change the cat converter as it was rusted.
Any ideas would be great - many thanks

Bruce Hunt

December, 9, 2006 AT 5:13 PM

This is a light that tells when to go in for the next service. In the owner manual in tells how to turn it off. Not a big deal.

Timing belt, no good answer for that as you need to think about it. You can check the belt by taking off the timing cover and inspecting the belt.

Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro
Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement