1987 VOLKSWAGEN VAN HARD TO COLD START

• jzw
  • 1987 Volkswagen Van

1987 Volkswagen Van 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

I have 87 Westfalia. For over months, I have cold start issue. We are in California, so temp is never too low. But even now after I park the van for a day then to restart it, I need to put more gas to get higher rpm and stay there for 30 seconds or more.
I have used a meter to check the battery voltage before start and a Pep Boys store checked it too, it is normal, and the engine normal idle speed is about 900.
When engine is warm, there isn't any problem to restart it.

Thursday, July 1st, 2010 AT 1:52 AM

• Docfixit

Hi
Most likely a faulty Auxiliary Air Regulator near air intake has a wire connector and a hose. When cold pinch off hose RPM should drop if not valve faulty.
Hope this helps
Thanks for donate

Friday, July 2nd, 2010 AT 2:18 PM
  • jzw

Hi Docfixit,

May I ask that in your answer, does valve mean the valve of Auxiliary Air Regulator?

Thanks,

John

Tuesday, July 6th, 2010 AT 12:21 PM
  • Docfixit

Valve sameo as aux air reg

Tuesday, July 6th, 2010 AT 12:24 PM
  • Dr Loot

I believe what Docfixit is saying is called the idle control stabilizer on your van is located on top in the center of the engine you cannot miss it, it has two wires going to it and a big hoses running to your air intake, just turn the key on and go back and put your fingers on the valve, if you feel it humming it is working but maybe not correctly, you need to remove it take some carburetors spray and clean it out and reinstall.

Friday, July 23rd, 2010 AT 10:35 PM