1985 VOLKSWAGEN VAN INTERMITTANT IGNITION PROBLEM

• roger cash
  • 1985 Volkswagen Van

Computer problem
1985 Volkswagen Van 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 143000 miles

The car would die suddenly and finally would not start up again. Fianally pinpointed a faulty Hall Sender inside the distributor and replaced it. Now it will intermittantly act much the same way as before--like someone reached over and turned the key off while the car is running--except it is only briefly, sometimes just feels like a split second--the car will just jerk. It's been doing this for over a year and has yet to leave us stranded, but I would like to be able to totally trust it won't do that. What parts of the ignition system could cause momentary total loss of power? How can I isolate the part so I can fix it?

Roger

Monday, June 1st, 2009 AT 4:43 PM

• Dr Loot

This is a common problem believe me I have 13 Volkswagen and have repaired hundreds, you're going to need to buy yourself a manual and follow the detailed diagnostic procedure because it's too much to talk about, but I will give you some hints, bad computer, or the pickup coil inside the distributor.

Saturday, July 11th, 2009 AT 3:03 PM