• imaveggiesaurus
  • 1985 Volkswagen Van

1985 Volkswagen Van 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic? Miles

Okay, I know very little about cars but I will try to provide as much info as I can. I bought this van last weekend. The speedometer/odometer isn't working so I have no idea what the mileage is. I would assume very high. It currently reads 139k. It was running when I bought it. When I brought it home it was having problems staying running while idling. The OXS light is on and the temperature light was flashing. I was planning on having an oil change/tune up this weekend. A couple of days ago I was driving it and it stalled. It turns over, but very slowly. A friend brought some jumper cables over and we let it sit for a good half or so. It turned over faster, but wouldn't start. This morning I tried starting it again, it turned over very slowly again. Any information you can provide would be helpful.

Saturday, February 6th, 2010 AT 1:56 PM

• rasmataz

Hi imaveggiesaurus, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation.

Try having the alternator checked out if okay do below

Fuel and Spark:

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 in away from ground have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor /distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, ECM, Ignitor camshaft and crankshaft sensors and computer. Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

Saturday, February 6th, 2010 AT 2:16 PM