1996 Volkswagen Golf Running temperature. What should it

THEICONHBK
  • 1996 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF
Engine Cooling problem
1996 Volkswagen Golf Front Wheel Drive Manual unava' miles

Hi folks! This should be a real easy one for folks of your quality to answer from what I have seen before I joined up :-)

Ok, I used to own a 1.8GL Golf MK3. Normal running temp, the needle would hit exactly half way on the gauge. Now I have the same model of car but a 1.9 diesel. Strange thing (well strange to me) is it only goes up to the 70 mark, about a 3rd. Is this normal? Just a diesel thing? Something or nothing to worry about? :-/

Oh one more small thing to ask if I may. Steering. When I turn the wheel I hear a noise like a small screw is lodged in behind the wheel. I've actually had a go and taken the plastics off and shone a torch in there but there doesn't seem to be anything jutting out. Any ideas? The grinding noise is driving me crazy!

Many thanks for your help should you be able to do so.

Steve from the UK :D

P.S. Seasons Greetings and New Year Wishes to you all :D
Sunday, December 27th, 2009 AT 8:41 PM

PAULJAMES
Hi
Hope I can help with this!

I currently have a Mrk 3 GL 1.8 and the temp gauge goes to about 100 degrees on the gauge before the fan comes. With a diesel, it will take longer to reach its operating temp but it should still get to 90 on the gauge after driving for about 20 minutes, depending on the outside temp of course!
However, the gauges on the Mrk 3s are prone to over and under reading after a while. I wouldnt worry to much about the reading, just check your coolant regularly and make sure you dont have any coolant loss. Otherwise, if it really bothers you, you may have to replace the dash panel insert which can be a costly part!

With regards to steering noise, small particles of dust get caught between the back of the steering wheel and the slip ring on the steering column. Its quite common on the Mrk 3s. The best way to get rid of the noise is to remove the steering wheel ( more difficult with airbag, so dont try this if it has one! ) And clean the metal contact point where the steering wheel meets the steering column. Also best to put a small amount of grease on the ring if possible, to prevent any further noise.

Let me know if you have any further problems!

P.S. Also from the UK, enjoying the snow!
Friday, January 8th, 2010 AT 4:17 AM
THEICONHBK
LOL Thanks for that assistance matey. Sounds about bang on to me. I noticed the gauge go to about 80 ish yesterday and that was after about. 30 mins on and off. 2 park up's fors short periods so that tallys with your info which is good :)

As for the 'grind' part, that also makes sense. Yes, mine has an airbag and after previous steering wheel instances on the 1.8GL I had, i'll be bloody careful! No, it never went off or anything! Pain was having to reset the airbag light afterwards. Snap-on scanner!

As for 'enjoying' the snow. Yes and no same as everyone else I bet! Where abouts are you then chap? I'm not far from Derby which is pretty messed up (you only have to work that out by the state of Nigel Clough's so called team!) LOL :P

Thanks for the reply. Oh. One thing. Mk3 aerial. Can you use ANY as a replacement or does it have to be an original? Can you even replace the 'mast' section with a nut and bolt or? What's best?

Cheers again matey! Steve :D
Friday, January 8th, 2010 AT 6:50 AM
PAULJAMES
Hi Steve

Glad I could help!

Im in West London, so not as bad snow wise as what youre experiencing, but still bitterly cold!
Still more on the way too apparently! Fun!

With regards to an aerial, is yours fitted with an aerial on the roof or on the wing? If its a roof aerial then you can just get a replacement mast, you dont need the whole aerial and base. You can get a mast from a Halfords or GSF Parts, or a VW Dealer, all should be more or less the same price. And no, it doesnt have to be an original part. The same applies if you have an aerial on the wing, it doesnt have to be an original.

Enjoy your diesel, strong engines!

Cheers

Paul
+1
Friday, January 8th, 2010 AT 7:20 AM
THEICONHBK
Oh yes. A bit of info before I hit 'submit' might be handy! I'll remember that in the future! Lol Yes it's a wing jobby mate. Looked on ebay but nothing that seeme to be the right fitting at the base point, the wing itself. Rang dealer up. 30 quid! SOD OFF! LOL So now. Well, might wait til the snow goes (in about a fortnight most likely!) And go rag one from a scrappies.

I know the location points having recently froze my backside off by fitting a remote central locking kit the direct routed way, that being from battery, past pollen filter box, through aerial grommet, under the back of the glovebox and over to the drivers side footwell and into the white 5 pin block that leads to the door loom. Easy! Only took 45 mins!

So. Do I go and rag or is there something out there in ebay land that you can see that I can't or? I'm in a state of flipping a coin on this one! :-/

P.S. More footy games off, even in the Prem! DAMN!
Friday, January 8th, 2010 AT 9:11 AM