1998 VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE LEAN CODES AND MISFIRE CODES

• al miller
  • 1998 Volkswagen Beetle

1998 Volkswagen Beetle 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 68,000 miles

starts and won't keep running, found fuel filter compleetly plugged thought this was the problem. Fuel pressure appears to be fine, fuel regulator is working correctly. If you add fuel with carb cleaner through a vacuum port the engine will keep running. No change if you unplug the mass air flow sensor. I cleared the codes and now it has a mass air flow code, however I believe this was from unplugging the sensor. Any ideas?

Sunday, August 23rd, 2009 AT 10:13 PM

• mhpautos

Hi there. You may be due to get the injectors serviced, and also check for vacuum leaks start here.

Sunday, August 23rd, 2009 AT 10:58 PM
  • al miller

I did check the injectors, (thought the screens were plugged) flow also was correct, I have since found the problem; it was the mass air flow meter. It did not set a code, did not change the running situation when it was unplugged. It did take time to learn the new meter

I also found the fuel very low in the tank and belive that the " sock" may have been limiting the fuel supply. I also filled the tank up before changing the mass air.

Thank you for your input and time, I hope this may help someone else in the future.

Wednesday, September 16th, 2009 AT 9:18 PM
  • mhpautos

Thank you for your feedback, it all helps,

mark

Wednesday, September 16th, 2009 AT 9:24 PM