NOT STARTING!

1997 Vauxhall Tigra

tigraem

January, 1, 2010 AT 9:55 AM

1997 Vauxhall Tigra Two Wheel Drive Manual 154000 miles

Hi, my Tigra seems to be needed to be jump started a lot. Especially after heavy rain the night before so on recommendation I sprayed plugs etc with wd40. After jump starting today it bellowed out black smelly smoke and the exhaust manifold was red hot.
The wipers etc still run but slower thaan usual when I attempt to start the car and I tested the battery and it showed it was charged so I don't know if its the battery after all.
is it normal to throw out smoke after jumping a car? The engie struggled after jumping today and spluttered a lot -made loads of noises which sounded dreadful. Any ideas/ advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks Emma

Dave H

January, 3, 2010 AT 8:21 AM

Start by replacing the battery. Sounds like it's worn out. A battery can give a 12 volt reading and still be bad?. Repost if you still have problems after battery replacement !

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Pressure Test