FAULT WHEN ENGINE WARM

2004 Vauxhall Meriva

DomeOfChrome

September, 30, 2009 AT 7:25 AM

2004 Vauxhall Meriva 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 70000 miles

After 10 mins running, the alternator warning light comes on, my rev counter and speedo drop to zero and intermittently come back on again, (alt light stays on) then if I stop engine, car wont start again, (although turns over fine) until engine is cold again. My battery voltage is 14, 4 volts when running and 12, 5 ish when engine off. Any ideas?

Dave H

September, 30, 2009 AT 8:33 PM

Try replacing the alternator, it may be faulty when hot and not chargeing. But chargeing the battery again once cooled down !

DomeOfChrome

October, 1, 2009 AT 3:04 AM

Thanks for your reply, I was sort of disregarding the alternator as when Ive got the fault on running engine Im getting a higher battery voltage than when the engine is stopped. Is it possible for this if alternator isn t charging?

Dave H

October, 1, 2009 AT 5:09 AM

14.4 volts with engine running is a good alternator. If the battery/alternator light is
ON and you are still getting 14.4 volts at the battery then you must have a bad wire somewhere? Does the car show the MIL (malfunction indicator light) on the dash display ! Have you checked for any fault codes?

DomeOfChrome

October, 1, 2009 AT 8:26 AM

No other lights showing and no faults have been registered or stored. What I find strange is fact that car wont start for about 3 hours after the fault shows.

soniacaldwell

November, 6, 2009 AT 7:25 AM

My car had exactly the same problem with the speed dial and battery warning light, also the traction control light was on too.
Went to the Vauxhall dealer, non of these things were actually faults (happened to find an oil leak while doing this though) they reset the fault codes and it was fine for about a week. Then the oil light came on, apparently related to not resetting a fault code when fixing the leak, which was then sorted. Now, a day later the battery and traction control lights are on (intermittantly) again, but this time (so far) the speedo's ok.
Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem? It would be nice to be able to trust the warning lights again.

DomeOfChrome

November, 6, 2009 AT 9:04 AM

Thanks for your reply, Im still not at the bottom of the problem and car has been in and out of Vauxhall garage over the past month. Now waiting on new ECU - engine control unit (for last 2 weeks) to see if problem is solved.

DomeOfChrome

November, 25, 2009 AT 12:36 PM

Sonia, Car now OK after REPAIR of my ECU as Vauxhall dealer couldnt get new ECU. Car now traded in.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang