2001 Vauxhall Corsa Engine Stalls

GORDYISASL
  • 2001 VAUXHALL CORSA
The problem comes when the engine is under normal operating temperature. What happens is the engine will stall when it is brought above 2000 RPM's. The engine will idle fine when it is at a cold start. Recently, when the added stress of the a/c compressor was added to the engine when the a/c was turned on, the engine started to die when it was at an idle from a cold start. But, when the a/c is off, it idles fine. The problem only comes when the engine is not at normal operating temperature. The car can be driven when not hot, but, what needs to be done is letting the clutch out, trying to keep the idle between 1500 and 2000 RPM and not stressing the engine over much. If it drops below 1500 and you need to push the engine to bring it up to speed, the car stalls. If the car stalls on an uphill climb, it is very difficult to get it moving again. The engine stress makes the engine stall as soon as you press the gas and begin to let the clutch out. After the car is at normal operating temperature for more than 10 minutes it will run just fine under any circumstances. It runs wonderfully after that point. The only thing I know I know for sure that occurs after the 2000 RPM mark is hit is that the turbo charger kicks on. I would go to a diagnostic clinic, but, I'm in West Africa and that kind of equipment is very difficult, if not impossible, to find here. Any idea of what changes occur after the car is at normal operating temperature that would cause a change in the engines performance? Any idea's would be greatly appreciated. I can do almost all work on the car myself, I just don't know where to look for this particular problem. Thank you for your assistance. By the way, the engine is a 1.7 L Turbo Charged Diesel.
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 5:16 AM

JACK42
Without diagnostic tools, it will b every difficult to figure this out. The mixture is changed by the PCM when it warms up. Is the check engine light on or has it been on during this problem?
Wednesday, January 28th, 2009 AT 7:42 AM
GORDYISASL
Yes. An indicator light does come on when the car stalls. I don't
think it is the check engine light though. I believe the check engine
light is a red engine symbol in the panel. The light that appears when
the car stalls is a little yellow symbol in the shape of a car with a
spanner wrench in the middle of it on the left hand side of the
instrument panel.
Wednesday, January 28th, 2009 AT 12:51 PM
JACK42
Sounds like it may be a maintenance light, but if it only comes on when it dies, that may be the check engine light which would mean the PCM has recorded a fault
Wednesday, January 28th, 2009 AT 3:54 PM
DAVE H
The CEL on this vehicle is the standard red engine light for emmissions related faults . The yellow light is telling you there is a fault on the electrical system. This should be explained in the handbook. If I remember correctly it say's electrical or immoboliser fault indication ! Hope this helps. Also you need remember this is a diesel engine most generic handheld OBDII readers will not read this vehicle (before 2004). You will need to have this looked at by a shop/garage with vauxhall software to determine exactly where the fault lies on the monitored electrical sytems. A genereic OBDII reader will not tell you where this fault lies even if it was petrol/gas driven, vauxhall in there infinate wisdom decided to add this little extra, so you would have to go back to them. There is a software on the market you can now purchase. Called vauxcheck. But you would also need a laptop/computer and an ELM connector ! Hope this helps
Friday, January 30th, 2009 AT 6:49 PM