Head gasket replacement instructions please?

WENDY DOWNEY
  • 1997 EAGLE VISION
  • 160 MILES
Car has been overheating. Replaced the main radiator hose, thermostat and the coolant reservoir cap which is pressurized. I have a sealed radiator. I'm not sure if I have a blown head gasket or not but want to try the sealer. How would I add that if I don't have access to the radiator. Can I pour it into the coolant reservoir tank?
Wednesday, April 7th, 2021 AT 12:17 AM

MOTOR MASTER
Hello my name is Dave

My first suggestion would be to confirm if you have a blown head gasket. Here is a link to our tutorial to test for a blown head gasket. If you do have a blown head gasket you can use a sealer by pouring it into the expansion tank. If you are going to do this process I would recommend using Blue Devil since you don't have to drain and flush the cooling system to use it.

Be aware that the most important factor in using any sealer is to pour it in very slowly since a high percentage of the time if you have a blown head gasket you have some coolant in the exhaust, even if it is evaporating before it makes it to the exhaust tip where you can see it. The issue you can run into using a sealer is if you pour it in too fast it can get into the catalytic converter and clog it, so pour it in slowly.

If you can go through the steps in our tutorial and let us know the results we will be happy to guide you further to help you solve your problem. We look forward to hearing back from you and thank you for using 2CarPros!
Wednesday, April 7th, 2021 AT 4:18 AM
ASEMASTER6371
Good morning,

There are some that say that a head gasket sealer works but if it does, it is very temporary and the gasket will still have to be done. It also clogs the radiator and the heater core as well.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/head-gasket-blown-test

I do not believe in it at all as there is no sealer made that will seal a failed head gasket. I have tried them all and none of them worked the way they were advertised.

The correct way is to replace it. I attached the procedure below for you with some pictures.

+1
Wednesday, April 7th, 2021 AT 4:21 AM
DABULLS
  • 1994 EAGLE VISION
I am trying to run test to figure out why my Vision is heating up. Hopefully I didn't warp a head or blow a head gasket. Could you please tell me what parts are related to the cooling system so I can check before I junk the car.
Wednesday, April 14th, 2021 AT 10:46 AM (Merged)
Do you mean it's "overheating"? It's supposed to heat up. You have a Chrysler product; AMC went away in the 1980s. They don't have very much head gasket trouble with these engines. If you provide some basic information, we might be able to give some suggestions. In particular, if it only overheats when stopped or at low speeds, you might just have a fan not turning on. If it's worse at highway speeds, you could have a radiator that's partially plugged or has the cooling fins rotted away.

DABULLS
Well, I don't know now. I ran the car idle for about 45 min. And it never heated up. I drive the think for two hours and it's getting hot. So I add some coolant, about a gallon maybe. I checked for leaks and there is none and no smell of coolant or white cloud of smoke coming out the exhaust. The coolant fans are working, at least when I looked thery were working. I am thinking water pump impellar is broke or the lining of a heater hose or radiator hose lining is collasping on the in side causing no circulation. Electrical? I don't know.
I never considered the water pump impeller. That's real common on Volkswagens. What is the condition of the radiator cooling fins?

The fins rotted away on my 1988 Grand Caravan. Anything over 60 mph AND 60 degrees and it would run very hot. Slow down to 55 mph and was better. All winter it was fine. The next summer it ran hot over 40 mph.

DABULLS
The fins and the radiator look and feel fine. Is there a sensor that causes the fans not to work and then work. Is there a sensor going out. The fans work one min. Then quit the next.
As long as I was moving, the car didn't get hot. Couldn't idle very long. Then all of a sudden it just stayed hot, didn't matter how much I cooled it off. It got hot right a way. I think I really ruined something this time.

Sponsored links