Turn signals not working

FRANKJAMES
  • 1998 FORD RANGER
I recently replaced the wiper motor plug and multi-function switch. Before, the problem was wipers inoperable. Now the wipers work along with everything else, but the turn signals do not work.
Tuesday, November 27th, 2018 AT 11:00 AM

KEN

It sounds like a fuse (#10, 21,13,11) is out, but to be sure lets use this guide and the wiring diagrams so you can see how the system works and the fuse locations as well.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken
+1
Thursday, November 29th, 2018 AT 10:42 AM
FRANKJAMES
Hello Ken! Thank you for your prompt reply and the helpful schematic images. I checked all of the fuzes and they were good. I dug back into my installation of the new multifunction switch and found that one of the plugs in the module plug cluster was improperly seated. Once I reseated the plugs the turn signals worked fine. Thanks for your assistance.
Friday, November 30th, 2018 AT 5:06 AM
KEN
Good to hear, please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.

Cheers, Ken
Friday, November 30th, 2018 AT 11:42 AM
SHAME
  • 1998 FORD RANGER
Hello.

The issue is both the turn signals and hazard indicators are not working. The malfunction simply abruptly occurred. The turn signals came on sporadically thereafter but absolutely nothing now. The fuse is okay. Please advise to next steps.

Appreciate your time and knowledge.
Friday, November 30th, 2018 AT 11:43 AM (Merged)
Usually the problem is the multifunction switch or the wiring in the steering column. Did you check for voltage at the applicable fuse/s? Even if the fuse is good, if no voltage, the circuit is still dead. Use a test light to check for voltage.
Give me a second and I'll post the wiring info.
+1
Here is diagram. The fuse for turn signals goes hot with the key on. The fuse for hazard lamps is hot all the time. Because neither work, check the flasher then the multifunction switch.

Did you check for voltage and ground at the applicable rear lamp, I was focused on the fuses. I don't believe it is a fuse problem.
+1
FWD1957
  • 1998 FORD RANGER
Turn signals andd emergency lights dont work. Fuses are new, and when you put emergency signal on the turn signals will work.
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Check for faulty flasher relay, if fuses and relay is good suspect faulty signal switch
JAMES ARNETT
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
Currently I don't have any turn signals, though I do have Hazard signals. All four lamps flash with the hazards on so I know the lamps are good, but when I turn on the right or left turn signal I got nothing. No signals on the dasboard, no relay noise nothing at all. I did replace the relay according to Haynes it jst one relay for both hazards and signaling. I also check the fuse.
Any other ideas I could try?
Frusterated Jim
BLUELIGHTNIN6
If flasher unit (located behind left side of dash) was tested OK then suspect faulty multifunction (turn signal) switch.
-1
Friday, November 30th, 2018 AT 11:44 AM (Merged)
ERIC15
  • 1999 FORD RANGERFORD RANGER
I have a 98 ranger with 140,000 miles on it. It is the 4 cylinder. My problem is one day after hooking a boat up my turn signals quit working. First thought would be check the fuses. But I did and all seem to be in working order. So where do I go next? Thanks
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Do the dash indicator lights illuminate when you operate turn signal? If they do but don't flash I would be looking at replacing the flasher can, that's the electronic control that make the indicators blink on and off, the trailer wiring may have damaged this unit, Now I am not sure where the flasher can is located on your car as we don't have that vehicle here in Aus. So best ask your local mechanic where it is located and that may fix your problem.

ERIC15
I'm getting nothing when I try to use my turn signals. Nothing at all on the dash lights up.
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Make sure that the fuse is OK, check that voltage is flowing thorough it, if OK, check the flasher can. The indicator switch is normally robust enough to cope with a faulty trailer wiring fault, but don't disregard it totally.

ADUL RAHMAN
  • 1998 FORD RANGER
1998 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Where is the location of the signal light fuse for a 1998 Ford Range.
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Check fuses 10, 11, 13 and 21. 10, 13 and 21 are in the instrument panel fuse box, fuse 11 is in the engine compartment fuse/relay box.
+1
98RANGERXLT
  • 1998 FORD RANGER
I have an intermittent turn signal problem my left turn signal works fine my right one works fine exept this problem every once in a while when I turn my left turn signal on it will buzz real loud and not come on but if I turn it off and on several times it will work sometimes I have to turn the left turn signal on then the right one on to get it to work. I dont know if its the flasher or the turn signal switch theres no bulbs burnt out. Thanks for all your help.
BMRFIXIT
I would suspect the combination switch its a common thing to fail (easy to replace )
but don't over look the flasher
98RANGERXLT
They say I need to pull the steering wheel to change it do I or can I do it without pulling it.
BMRFIXIT
Very easy max hour
Disconnect negative battery cable.
Remove lock cylinder.
Remove tilt lever handle (if equipped).
Remove upper and lower steering column shrouds.
Remove retaining screws.
Disconnect multifunction switch harness connectors.
Remove switch.
To install, reverse removal procedure.

Not sure how remove lock cylinder check it out
Set ignition switch to RUN position.
Insert an 1/8" drill bit or wire through access hole in trim steering column trim (below lock cylinder).
Press retaining pin inward and pull out lock cylinder.
To install, lubricate lock cylinder.
Turn lock cylinder to RUN position.
Press retaining pin inward and insert lock cylinder into housing.