Truck stalls when warm

JROY13
  • 1998 DODGE RAM
So oddly enough my truck will start up cold and run perfectly fine but as soon as the engine temperature starts to go up it will gradually start to stall. Once I shift into reverse when its warm it will just stall out. Will also stall when I am slowing down which is super unsafe. It basically doesn't want to idle properly unless the engine is cold. The only thing I recently did was change out a power steering hose and the battery was disconnected. Any help is appreciated.
Wednesday, November 6th, 2019 AT 7:21 PM

MASTERWRENCH
Did the engine have this issue prior to disconnecting the battery?
Saturday, November 9th, 2019 AT 8:23 PM
JROY13
It did not.
Tuesday, November 12th, 2019 AT 5:35 PM
I just answered this in another post a few days ago. Go out and drive the truck at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the pedals. In the unlikely event this doesn't solve the problem, do that again while holding the brake pedal up with your foot. Coasting meets the requirements for "minimum throttle" to be relearned after the battery cable was disconnected, but if the brake light switch is slightly out-of-adjustment, the brake pedal could vibrate, turning on the part of the brake light switch that cancels the relearn.

There can be other causes of low idle speed, but this is the only one that is caused by removing power from the Engine Computer. It happens on every Chrysler product, and is so common, most mechanics either perform a short test-drive for their customers or they inform them of the need to do this simple procedure. If you don't do it, you'll waste hundreds of dollars on unneeded parts, and still never solve the low idle speed.
Tuesday, November 12th, 2019 AT 5:49 PM