Cranks but will not start, no spark

PHELANSTAR
  • 1997 FORD RANGER
The truck will crank but will not start. There is no spark. I have power at coils but no spark. Replaced the crank sensor wires coil and plugs.
Sunday, August 12th, 2018 AT 9:41 AM

KEN

This sounds like the PCM relay is not working. Here is a guide to help you test it and the location of the relay #4. Also, I found the engine wiring diagrams so you can see how the system works.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Check out the diagrams (below). Please run this test and get back to us.

Cheers, Ken
+1
Tuesday, August 14th, 2018 AT 11:04 AM
PHELANSTAR
PCM was shorting when it was damp out. Put in new PCM cars fine now. Thank you
Wednesday, August 15th, 2018 AT 6:51 AM
KEN
Glad you could get it fixed, that kind of problem can be tough. Please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.

Cheers, Ken
Thursday, August 16th, 2018 AT 10:54 AM
JRW1959
  • 1997 FORD RANGER
Engine turns over fast but will not start. I replaced the fuel pump and relay but still will not start.
Thursday, August 16th, 2018 AT 10:54 AM (Merged)
Are you getting spark and fuel to the engine? Will it start with starting fluid?
+1
JRW1959
Cant see any spark. How would I apply starting fluid to this fuel injected engine?
Through the throttle body. However, if there is no spark, it still will not start.
JRW1959
I sprayed the starting fluid into the throttle body as you said. It did try to start. I then went to the air filter and looked at it. It looked clean. It had a screened in deal with a sensor connected to it. When I put it all back together the truck started. It sounds like a short somewhere. What do you think?
It could be. Make sure everything is connected and not broken.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Try this guide.
JOHN3545
  • 1997 FORD RANGER
Hey, I got a 1997 Ford Ranger, six cylinder, 4L, 4WD, automatic. And well the problem is, I cannot get it to start, I have replaced the starter twice now. I have had the battery checked, holds charge at 100% checked the leads and cleaned them with solution changed out the ends on both sides of the leads. Took starter supposedly passed the test and still will not start. When I turn it over it hums almost, and I believe a click. I am frustrated and will not lie about that what else could it be? My friend said could be the parking safety switch busted and not letting me turn the engine over?
ASEMASTER6371
Humming could be a couple of things. It could be the Bendix drive in the starter and on the bench will test okay but fail under a load. The other could be a bad ground cable that is not allowing enough current for the starter to work.

-1
JOHN3545
Thank you, Ill take it in again, and test it one more time and explain it to them, and change out the ground to see if that works as well.
-1
ASEMASTER6371
Good luck

-1
JOHN3545
Ok changed out the grounding wire, it was pretty corroded. And the starter was shot, and got another one off warranty (yay). But still didn't start from key ignition. I can start it by doing the little short cut trick, but was wondering where to go from here, was thinking it could be a bad fuse, wire, parking safety switch perhaps? If so where could I find a diagram to find the lay out and etc to reach em.
-1
RBRTG14
  • 1997 FORD RANGER
Ok I have a 1997 ranger 2.3 5 speed. Go to start and I justy get one click. I tried to jump fender solenoid and same thing. Relpaced the starter and still same thing just one click. Possibly bad fender solenoid?
DR. HAGERTY
I suggest you check the battery for sufficient charge to start the car. If the battery is low it will just click. Battery voltage should be at least 12.5 volts at rest. If the voltage is low during cranking (less than 10.5 volts) charge the battery. If it wont hold a charge, replace it.
RBRTG14
Battery is fine its just one click not like a fast click
DR. HAGERTY
Thanks for the information, I would think there is a problem in the starter bendix or the solenoid, at any rate it is possible the starter has failed and will require replacement. BTW, have you tried tapping on the starter with a mallet/hammer while your assistant cranks the car? Sometimes that works to get you going, sometimes not. At any rate it is fairly straightforward to R&R your starter, good luck mate
Check your starter relay it's probably shot
Thursday, August 16th, 2018 AT 10:55 AM (Merged)
TURK 55
  • 1997 FORD RANGER
When I turn the ignition key the truck hums, but that is the only response I get. The truck will sometimes start occasionally with no problem at all. What is the problem?