Transmission not shifting properly?

REBELXD22
  • 2002 CHEVROLET 1500
  • 15 MILES
My truck listed above with the 4L60-E has to rev high to catch third and won’t shift into overdrive.
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2020 AT 12:10 AM

ASEMASTER6371
Good morning,

This sounds like it is slipping. In most cases, this happens when the clutches are worn out and cannot lock up and continue to pull the Truck.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/automatic-transmission-problems

How long since you replaced the fluid and filter? A clogged filter could cause this issue but I doubt it.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-service-an-automatic-transmission

You most likely will need to either have it overhauled or replaced.

Wednesday, June 3rd, 2020 AT 4:37 AM
REBELXD22
What if the shifter solenoids goes out? Because it catches 1st and second. It doesn t catch 3rd.2nd just kicks into the passing gear. I'm thinking that the solenoid went out. Which you can get to from the pan. But I m not 100% sure.
Saturday, June 6th, 2020 AT 1:05 PM
94 TRANSAM
You have a 3-4 solenoid and a lock up solenoid. If you have lost 3rd and lock up you would have 2 bad solenoids. Not likely.

First thing that will cause this is 1 quart or more low on fluid.
Then plugged filter.
A bad pressure solenoid.
A filthy pan allowing junk into the valve body and hanging up valves.
Could be a worn out pump also. A pressure test wouldn't hurt. You can get a pressure gauge for about $20.00.

This is where I would look first.

If all that checks okay then you've likely lost 3rd gear and need a rebuild.

Rich
Sunday, June 7th, 2020 AT 9:10 PM
SPANKBOY328
  • 1997 CHEVROLET 1500
Used transmission has been in truck for a year and a half. No problems. Took a trip from Houston to Dallas no problems until on the way back. About a hundred miles from Houston stopped for gas. When getting back onto freeway transmission would not shift into overdrive or high gear. Shifts through all other gears okay.
Saturday, August 29th, 2020 AT 11:09 AM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
Good morning.

First, is the check engine light on?

When was the last time you changed the oil/filter in the transmission? A partially clogged filter would make this happen.

Beyond that, it could be valve body, or internal issue.

GCWRIGHT
  • 1997 CHEVROLET 1500
Transmission does good from first to second but sometimes does not shift after that. And sometimes I can stop the truck and start over and it may shift.
+1
Hi and thanks for using 2CarPros.com. Understand, there can be many causes which result in this type of problem. Do the basics first. Make sure the fluid is clean and full. If you decide the fluid is dirty and should be chanced. Here are general directions:

If the check engine light is on, you need to identify which codes are stored. Here is a video which shows how to retrieve codes:

https://youtu.be/YV3TRZwer8k

The reason I mention checking codes is because there may be an issue with a shift solenoid in the transmission. If you find a code which correlates with a shift solenoid, there was a technical service bulletin (TSB) which was put out years ago with regards to erratic shifting. Here is the bulletin:

A/T - SHIFT SOLENOID UPDATE
File In Section: 7 Transmission

Bulletin No.: 37-71-48A

Date: November, 1996

INFORMATION

Subject:
Transmission Product Updates
(New Shift Solenoids)
Models:
1991-97 Chevrolet and GMC C/K, P, G Models
1991 Chevrolet and GMC R/V Models with HYDRA-MATIC 4L8O-E Transmission (RPO MT1)
This bulletin is being revised to update the part numbers and to include 1995-97 model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 377148 (Section 7 - Transmission).

Service Information

Starting August 14, 1996 (Julian date 226) all HYDRA-MATIC 4L80-E transmissions are being built with the new solenoid assemblies. The new solenoids are serviced for all 1991 through 1997 4L80-E applications.

Parts Information

Previous Part New Part Description

10478125 10478132 Valve assembly, 1-2 Shift Solenoid (Black)

10478126 10478133 Valve assembly, 2-3 Shift Solenoid (White)

If you notice, the 2-3 shift solenoid was updated. The shift solenoids are internal in the transmission and are attached the valve body, which is under the transmission pan. NOTE: If you get a trouble code related to the 2-3 shift solenoid, use the color diagram above to find it in the transmission,

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care,

LOCKERANDOLPH
  • 1995 CHEVROLET 1500
I've had this issue with the truck for the past year, one day it works fine but most of the time it's in this low acceleration mode where the truck feels like its starting in 2nd or 3rd gear from a stop and its very annoying. Going up an incline also requires me to floor it when it's like this. Speedometer doesn't work (its at 0) and the same with the tachometer. The odometer and trip set don't move as well. The gear selector light is on and moves with the shifter with the key on but goes out when the truck is running for some reason. The OBD1 is throwing the codes 81, 82, and 83. I'm ultimately stuck between thinking the ECM is bad from the three codes, the speed sensor/sensors are bad or the ignition switch harness under the key is bad and I need to trace wiring. I also recently found a thick white wire broke off from being grounded to a bolt above the brake pedal, I'm not sure if its related.
Hi,

The codes are interesting. All deal with shift control via the PCM. However, there is one thing they all have in common. All can be caused by a faulty ground.

I need you to check something for me. I just ran through a schematic of grounds for this vehicle. Everything showing a ground is black. Can you somehow take a pic of the wire in question and upload it for me to see? Also, are you sure it is a ground? Can you tell where the opposite end of the white wire is going?

Let me know.
Saturday, August 29th, 2020 AT 11:10 AM (Merged)
LOCKERANDOLPH
I'm guessing that it's a ground by the way it is wired to a metal frame hung around the steering column and not to some sensor or harness. I checked around to see if there was another broken wire hanging down but I saw nothing. Here's the picture, and thank you for helping me.
LOCKERANDOLPH
Here's another for close up. I took the other to reference where it is by the brake pedal.
Hi,

Thanks for getting that to me. It isn't a factory ground, but you are correct, it's a ground. The white wire you mentioned, have you tried to reconnect it to ground? There may have been need for a new ground.

SPS354
  • 1994 CHEVROLET 1500
Replaced transmission, ran fine, until I wiggled headlight switch to make them come on. The fuse box is loose in its housing. Bad wiring or speed sensor or both?
KEN
It could be can we run the codes to see what comes up?

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/buick-cadillac-chevy-gmc-oldsmobile-pontiac-gm-1983-1995-obd1-code-definitions-and-retrieval-method

Check the fuses and fix any loose wiring and report back. Please let us know what you find
LOCKERANDOLPH
I'll get back to you once I do some more searching, whatever it was grounding has to have some trace of a wire coming off of it.
Hi:
Let me know if you find it. Also, I don't know if it will help you, but I attached schematics of all the grounds in this vehicle.

Let me know what you find.

Take care,
+1
RUSSELL1960B
  • 1993 CHEVROLET 1500
On my truck listed above has a 4L60E transmission and it will not shift out of low. Reverse and lower strong will not shift. I tried fuses no issue there. I checked wiring doesn't look bad. I checked the fluid looks clean and not burnt. No check engine light on. Trying to see if it is electrical or mechanical before I tear into it too deep.
STEVE W.
Welcome to 2CarPros. There isn't a lot of electronics in that transmission. If you shift it using the lever does it do the same thing? If yes it is most likely time to do a rebuild and replace a few seals and clutches.
FIXTHISTRUCK
  • 1993 CHEVROLET 1500
The transmission wouldn t shift out of drive when I got it. I had to shift it at the linkage. I changed the fluid and filter and it ran perfect for two months now it won t shift past second. I opened it up again and changed solenoid 2-3, TCC solenoid, and the lock up solenoid put it back together still shudders and shakes past 35 mph to get to 2nd. I replaced the TPS, coolant temperature sensor, checked fuses everything is good. I m dumping money down the drain. Please help I just want my transmission to shift properly.
KASEKENNY1
Just to be clear you are getting a shudder in second gear or in first gear shifting into second?

I suspect you are dealing with the most common issue with this transmission and that is the forward clutch pack is burnt up. This will cause a variety of issues but it will cause shudder in second going to 3rd.

Take a look at this video that illustrates this perfectly:

https://youtu.be/syuxucvAFCo

Even if you don't have an issue with the 3-4 solenoid, I still suspect you have burnt clutch material which is causing the shudder. The only way to know this at this point is to take it apart and replace the clutches, steels, pistons, and seals. Basically you will want to just rebuild the unit to ensure you only go into it one time.

Let me know if I misunderstood something and we can go from there. Thanks

Sponsored links