Transfer case encode motor short to ground or open

BLCKLBRTRVR
  • 2006 GMC SIERRA
With key on using dmm with actuator unplugged and dmm one end ground to frame and other lead on (a) grrrn/black I get 5.06 volts when I touch (b) I get 23.5volts. What is (b) value telling me a bad wire or TCCM bad? (C) value 1.4 volts (d) 1.8 (e) 2.1 and fluctuating (f)12 volts (g) 2.0 Are these values in ranges?

Bryant
Sunday, December 20th, 2020 AT 5:09 PM

KASEKENNY1
I am attaching the wiring diagram. A is your 5 volt reference so that is correct. However, B is you encoder signal return and it should run through a resistor in the encoder so I suspect the encoder has failed. I have not seen the voltage be that high but that is the only thing at this point that would make sense. I would suggest unplugging the encoder and the shift module and check for a short on the wire and if none is found then it is the encoder.

Here is a guide that will help with this:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

I also attached below the process to replace the encoder if this proves out. Thanks
+1
Monday, December 21st, 2020 AT 6:18 PM

Sponsored links