Blown Head Gasket - Symptoms

JUSTINLANE
  • TOYOTA SUPRA
1. 1986 Toyota Supra
2. 42000 on new 3.0 liter engine
3. Automatic
4. 2 wheel drive

5. Rough in idle when parked and when moving. Acceleration pedal pressed inwards causes a clanking sound, much like a chain being dragged on the ground.

6. Anti-freeze out the exhaust pipe.

My radiator cap blew, taking the stem with it. I already replaced that with a new pressure release cap. The Anti-freeze problem and rough idle problem are still there, leading me to suspect that I've blown a head gasket, for it blew about a block or so from my house. I drove it home slowly, but I think the Head Gasket metal still warped. My question is, since I don't know the difference between the parts: Do I need to buy a Cylinder Head Gasket Set or just a single Cylinder Head Gasket?
Thursday, August 9th, 2007 AT 9:34 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

You will need a top o/haul set, this will have all the gaskets that you will require to do the job, but don't just fit a new gasket. You will have to have the head crack tested, checked for warpage and re machined otherwise you will be pulling the head off again next week end. Remember do it once do it right!

Mark (mhpautos0
Friday, August 10th, 2007 AT 12:04 AM
JUSTINLANE
Thank you for the quick response; I appreciate it. As for the testing, all that needs to be done is the re-machining process. Turns out it had been warped, despite the fact it had only been driven home on for about a minute. Is there anyway I can add feedback to your reputation? I know that probably sounds lame that I don't know how to, but I'm relatively new here, and I would like to at least do something in return! . ;
Sunday, August 12th, 2007 AT 3:55 PM
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Good to hear that things are working out for you there. As for the warped head, it only takes a few seconds sometimes to do this damage, I had a thermostat housing crack on my own car a while ago, I pulled up as soon as the low coolant light came on, but the head was dammaged already. It can happen that quick. As for feed back, that would be great, justv click feedback on my reply and it will tell you what to do.

Thank you, Mark (mhpautos)
Sunday, August 12th, 2007 AT 6:30 PM