WATER PUMP FAILURE

2006 Toyota Rav4

thirddp

June, 4, 2010 AT 4:32 PM

Engine Cooling problem
2006 Toyota Rav4 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 61,800 miles

How long does it take for a car to overheat after the water pump has failed? I have extensive engine damage due to a water pump failure, however, I pulled the car over immediately after the dashboard lights came on.

The mechanic has stated that the damage to the engine occured because of continued operation, So my question is once the water pump fails how long does it take for the car to overheat and severe engine damage to occur?

They have stated that the gasket deck is warped.019 inches between cylinders two and three and the block gasket deck is warped.006 in the same area.

Jack42

June, 4, 2010 AT 5:08 PM

Length of time depends on the material teh engien is made of (iron block, aluminum head). Problem being is that the coolant sensor cant read air, so if the engine runs out of coolant, it can still run without any warning lights even if there is no water in it, this may very well be what happened to yours. They get extremely hot when there isnt nay fluid in the cooling system, and eventually it will heat up the entire sensor enough to light a warning.

Heater Hose Replacement Chevrolet Camaro
Water Pump Replacement Made Easy
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour