REAR BRAKES

2001 Toyota Pickup

Dickytom

February, 23, 2008 AT 7:20 AM

Brakes problem
2001 Toyota Pickup 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 125000 miles

My Tacoma has a sticky rear brake pad. When I realease the parking brake, the brakes do not release immediately and then make a loud clunk when they finally do. Until the brakes have warmed up, they do not release immediately but if I let the truck roll backward, they release immediately. I replaced the front pads and inspected the rear shoes which have plenty of life left in them. There appears to be a leak in the wheel cylinder in the rear drivers side drum that I will attend to. I also adjusted the parking brake only to realize it's self adjusting. I feel like the brakes are dragging all the time now. Can you help?

Jack42

February, 23, 2008 AT 7:24 AM

Rears should have a slight amount of drag when spinningthe wheel, if properly adjusted. The problem may be due to the leaky wheel cylinder or it may need a rear brake spring kit (combo kit). Which I would do with the wheel cylinder anyway. When it comes to brakes, they need to be in proper hydraulic shape before other problems can be addressed

Dickytom

February, 23, 2008 AT 7:45 AM

Thanks a lot. The springs you mentioned, they are the ones visible when I pull off the drum, correct?

Jack42

February, 23, 2008 AT 8:02 AM

Yes. Auto parts store should have them

Parking Brake Shoe Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
ABS Computer Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front