1979 Toyota Pickup Master Cylinder

RUSTNGREESE
  • 1979 TOYOTA PICKUP

Brakes problem
1979 Toyota Pickup 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 125000 miles

I replaced the master cylinder on this pickup because there was an obvious internal leak. When I went to bleed the brakes everything went as normal bleeding the rear right first then rear left. When I was done, the pedal was rock hard with only 2 inches of play and no squish, making it impossible to bleed the fronts. Has anyone heard of this problem? I am suspecting a problem with the new master cylinder, (it's new not reman). The truck has drum rears, and disc fronts. Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sunday, May 25th, 2008 AT 5:12 PM

MHPAUTOS

Hi there,

I would be inspecting the master cyl if the pedal has gone rock hard, you may be just unlucky and got a defective one. Just one thought if you can still bleed the rears and not the fronts, I also would be looking at any proportioning valve fitted as well.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Sunday, May 25th, 2008 AT 5:26 PM
RUSTNGREESE

Thanks for the reply Mark. You are right, I was one of the lucky ones with a defective master cylinder. Again, thanks for your input. Randy

Monday, May 26th, 2008 AT 12:20 PM