1993 Toyota Pickup check engine light goes on&off and w

93YOTA_PROJECT
  • 1993 TOYOTA PICKUP
The check engine light has been going on and off. But when it is on it runs like crap, and when its off, it runs fine. It has been acting up for the past 2 months. And it is scary to drive on the road. When the light comes on, it acts like it looses power, and it acts bogged down. But as soon as the light turns off it runs fine again.
Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 1:57 PM

JAMES W.
The most common cause for a Toyota CE light to flucuate on/off is an O2 sensor out of range. What ever is triggering the light should be logged in computer memory. You should have the ECM scanned to find out for sure. Autozone and most other major parts stores will scan the computer for free. This should solve your problem. Hope this helps.
+1
Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 3:02 PM
93YOTA_PROJECT
I went up to the local parts store, but they dont make a code scanner for the older toyota trucks until 1995. I had to do a trip wire and test it. But the problem is, is that the light doesnt always stay on and it doesnt read the code out right.
Saturday, March 7th, 2009 AT 6:56 PM
JAMES W.
You've got the older system under the driver's seat? If you, do you have a red and green led light or just a green? Please advise.
Saturday, March 7th, 2009 AT 7:41 PM
93YOTA_PROJECT
I checked under the whole bench seat, and there isnt any plug-in things or wires of any sort. The way the manual tells to check the the codes for the check engine light is to make a trip wire and connect T1 to E1 and turn the ignition on, but the light blinks normal when checkin it. Is there a different way to check the o2 sensors and see if they are any good?
Sunday, March 8th, 2009 AT 12:53 PM
JAMES W.
OK, if you can't pull the codes, you can test the O2 sensors with an ohm meter as follows;
Remove the sensor(s)
With the sensors at 68 degrees F, test accorss terminals +B and HT.
Ohms resistance should be 5.1 to 6.3
California models. 4.5 to 6.0
Any readings above or below these ranges, the unit is defective.
IMPORTANT NOTE; if the sensors test good and you re-install them, be SURE you coat the sensor threads with some sort of "anti-seize, or you'll never get them out again. Hope this helps
Sunday, March 8th, 2009 AT 7:33 PM
93YOTA_PROJECT
Ok, I got out the ohm meter, but where do I find the +B and HT things? I looked at the diagnostics box under the hood and there is a +B but no HT. Is there somewhere else I have to stick the probes?
Sunday, March 15th, 2009 AT 2:29 PM
JAMES W.
You want to test the O2 sensor accross the terminal where the sensor lead plugs into the wiring harness. Keeping in mind, if the sensor is much above or below 68 degrees it will change the ohm readings. I'll pull a schematic and attach it to this post.
Sunday, March 15th, 2009 AT 9:11 PM
JAMES W.
O2 test pins.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248092_93toyotapickup_1.jpg

Sunday, March 15th, 2009 AT 9:58 PM
93YOTAPROJECT
I tested the o2 sensor. Andi got 3.92, that was at the outside temperature which is aroud 70-75 degrees. So tomarrow im going to go up to discount parts store and check a new one. Hopefully this is the problem. I'll get back to you with what I find out.
Monday, March 16th, 2009 AT 7:20 PM
JAMES W.
Let me know, chief.
Monday, March 16th, 2009 AT 9:09 PM
93YOTA_PROJECT
I put in a new oxygen senor yesterday, but it aint runnin any better, I turned the truck on and let it warm up, and then I drove it around the neighborhood and almost didnt make it back. I then let it sit in the driveway and the light went off, and it would run for a while but then it would come on and run like crap. I dont know what is goin on with this thing. Hopefully you can help
Wednesday, March 25th, 2009 AT 8:03 PM
JAMES W.
Well, if your CE light is coming on and it's not registering any codes, I have to think your ECM is bad.
Friday, March 27th, 2009 AT 2:52 AM
93YOTA_PROJECT
If the ecm is bad, then whydoes it run soo rough when the light comes on. Oh, by the way, the other day, I started the truck, and I drove it down the road and turned around. On my way back, the truck started stuttering REAL bad. I barly mad it to the driveway. The truck was pretty much jerking everytime it stuttered. When I put it in nuetral to open the gates, my truck stalled. This has never happened before. Would this result be from the ecm being bad? Or could it be the mass air flow?
Sunday, March 29th, 2009 AT 4:09 PM
JAMES W.
It "could" be the mass air, sometimes these can be intermittent and not set a code.
Let's test your ECM by disconnection the mass air, TPS or engine temp sensor, and see if you can set a code while running the motor. If no codes are set, there's something wrong with the ECM. It may be getting information on a bad sensor, but not processing it like it should. Let me know.
+1
Sunday, March 29th, 2009 AT 4:33 PM