TEMPERATURE GAUGE

1986 Toyota Pickup

sica1

October, 2, 2009 AT 4:10 PM

Engine Cooling problem
1986 Toyota Pickup 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 200000 miles

My temp gauge is not working. I recently replaced the fuel injector gaskets and noticed it wasn't working. Today I replaced the sender/thermal switch. Still not working.

merlin2021

October, 3, 2009 AT 9:06 AM

TEMPERATURE GAUGE 1. Unplug connector at coolant temperature sender. Connect a 3.4 watt test lamp between wire and ground. Turn ignition on. Bulb should start flashing and needle of gauge should vibrate. 2. Connect ohmmeter between sender terminal and body of sender. Check resistance at several coolant temperature. Replace sender if inaccurate.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_1_1.gif

3. Check gauge resistance by measuring across terminals with ohmmeter. Ignition must be off and connector unplugged. See FUEL & TEMPERATURE GAUGE RESISTANCE table. 4. Connect one end of test lamp to sender terminal and other end to battery voltage. With engine running, test lamp should flash. Lamp should not light when engine is stopped. NOTE: Bulb may come on briefly when engine is stopped, but should not remain lit.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_2_27.jpg

Last column is temp gauge, ohms, first column is fuel gauge.

racefan966

October, 3, 2009 AT 9:08 AM

Ok if you can find a 3.4 watt bulb at your local parts store then you can make a tester out of it. Now just unplug the sender and touch the bulb to ground and the wire to the end of the bulb have someone turn the key on engine off and the bulb should start to flash and the needle start to vibrate. If it don't then you have either a bad guage or bad wire.

merlin2021

October, 3, 2009 AT 9:20 AM

Thanks for the assist race!

Window Switch Replacement and Test
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe