EMERGENCY BRAKE

Toyota

rayzntay

April, 30, 2006 AT 10:42 PM

What will happen to your car(front wheel drive) if you are going 70 miles+ an hour and you put the emergency brake on? Does it strip the gears, or ruin the transmission, or gerk the rear end out? And no. It didn't roll : ) All I know is now it won't go forward anymore (even in gear) and when it is put back into park it makes a hugeeeeee noise ! Come on now. Surely someone knows what could have possibly happens to this car lol. I am seriously desprate. Since this is my only TRANSpertation : ) All ideas excepted. None turn down or away ! Thanks in advance.[/Url]

losone

May, 1, 2006 AT 11:04 AM

Firssts I need to know what kind of vehicle, tranny and mileage. I can guess that you have fried the rear brakes and they have melted to the drum--not a good thing to do unless it is an emergency and the other barkes have failed. Good luck

rayzntay

May, 1, 2006 AT 12:48 PM

It's a 95 toyota celica w/ 142,884 miles

losone

May, 1, 2006 AT 1:21 PM

Auto or standard?

rayzntay

May, 1, 2006 AT 6:26 PM

It's a auto

losone

May, 1, 2006 AT 8:33 PM

Drive about 30 and put it in neutral. If the noise remains the same it is the brakes. If it goes away, it's the driveline. Let me know.

rayzntay

May, 2, 2006 AT 11:38 PM

Maybe you did not understand the question or I did not make myself clear enough lol. The car (front wheel drive 95 celica gt toyota) was on the expressway going about 70+ and he put emergency brake on! Now. What will it cause. The car will NOT move ! Neither drive, reverse nor park. I put it into gear. And. Nothing! I put it back into park and it grindssssss its way back in. Did pulling the emergency back (gradually) damage something? Thanks.

losone

May, 3, 2006 AT 7:22 AM

Ahh-hah! I am glad you explained the problem. What ever or who ever put the brake on at 70 was very lucky you are here to tell the story.

You have either melted the rear barkes or a brake component broke and jammed a wheel. The emergency brakes operate only on the rear wheel.

Jack up the rear wheels one at a time. Put the car in neutral and see which wheel won't turn by hand. I expect only one wheel is jammed. After that, depending on your level of experience, remove the tire and then work on getting the hub/caliper off and see what happened.

Let me know

Parking Brake Shoe Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML