RAV BLOWN FUSE STILL!

2001 Toyota

josher

July, 13, 2006 AT 4:03 PM

The freakin' Toyota Dealership can't fix my car! After keeping it over a week, they finally decided to tell me it was the ecu.I bought one, put it in, DIDN'T FIX IT! Same trouble exactly. It's blowing the efi3 fuse.I determined today on my own that if I don't run the a/c. It's fine. As soon as I turned the a/c on today after I had been driving it all day, it blew the fuse and stalls out. One other peculiar thing it does is as soon as you begin to insert the key in the ignition, the fan comes on. I've spent hundreds of dollars at the recommendation of the Toyota Dealer Service Dept on a misdiagnosis. Seriously, what should I do? This is my first Toyota I've ever owned and the worst car I've ever had. The irony.I bought it thinking. Great, a car that is trouble free. I haven't been able to drive this car with confidence for months now.I'm about to trade it for just about anything, as long as it's not a Toyota

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

July, 13, 2006 AT 8:35 PM

I had this problem before with a previa. Try this remove the ignition fuse turn key On ands see whether the EFI fuse blows

josher

July, 17, 2006 AT 9:24 AM

Ok.I pulled the ignition fuse, turned the key.(Even tried to start it)knowing it wouldn't fire without the fuse). This did not blow the fuse.
Note. The following I know. When the fuse blows, the motor is running and the air conditioner is on.

So, what do you think I should do. Is there anyone in the central united states that could figure this out?
Toyota Dealership in my area apparently doesn't have the competence. Please advise or send message to someone that might be able to help

thanks, joe

July, 17, 2006 AT 7:33 PM

1. Test the EFI relay or by substitute then retry.

2. The EFI relay controls the Circuit Opening Relay @ the COR that's where all the Sensors gets their power. Any short beyound there will kill the EFI fuse.

3. Try this, remove the EFI relay, put new fuse in place and attempt to start it-if the fuse don't blow your problem is coming from between the EFI relay and one of the sensors

4. Not familiar with the color code on the Rav4

5. Does the fuse blows when you turn the ignition On or it blows later on? Need to know before we proceed on.

6. My main target here is the Air Flow Sensor and O2 sensor circuit.
The way I fix mine I check every wire going to each sensor for short to ground. You just need a good electrician to find it.

7. Disconnect the MAF sensor and again turn the ignition On check whether EFI fuse blows

8. Just to let you know its hard to troubleshoot over the net. I don't believe on a trial and error replacement. Lets find it together with luck from above.

9. BTW am aware it will not start when ignition fuse is removed it kills the Ignition and Injectors. I was segregating between the Ignition and Fuel system. Right now your problem is coming from the EFI circuitry.

Good Luck!

josher

July, 17, 2006 AT 10:00 PM

Should I turn the air cond. On before trying these steps since that is when the fuse blows (when I turn on the air conditioner)
joe

July, 17, 2006 AT 10:02 PM

Try that and see what happens.

josher

July, 18, 2006 AT 10:33 AM

Ok.I tried to start it with the main ign realy out and the air condiotioner on and NO fuse blew. Again, the fuse blows if I was sitting at a stop light, idling, I turn the air on and start to take off. It's almost sure to pop. Now do you want me to try starting it with the maf sensor disconnected, ign relay IN, a/c ON?

July, 18, 2006 AT 7:09 PM

Disconnect the MAF, turn AC On then crank engine over-check EFI fuse. Don't expect it to start w/o the MAF

Do you have any codes?

josher

July, 19, 2006 AT 7:21 AM

Ok. Tried that. Did not blow a fuse.
Let me explain a little more. The fuse will not blow in the driveway when I turn on the a/c right now. It's like I have to be driving for a little while(warm it up). Then, after sitting at a stop light, I go to take off, and it's like the slight jerk or pull of the clutch (movement) pops the fuse(air conditioning ON). If the a/c is off, it runs perfect and continues to do so. Again. When I begin to put the key in the ign, the cooling fan kicks on. Also, after I shut it off, it delays shutting off a second. Now. Codes? YES.3 codes
p0100. Mass or volume air flow circuit malf
p0505. Idle control system malf
p0101. Mass or volume circuit range performance problem

July, 20, 2006 AT 5:51 AM

Check the AC relay and You need to follow on the MAF problems-The air temp sensor is in there too!

Try cleaning out the throttle body before you deal with the IACV.

Between these two MAF and IACV a wiring problem or the sensor itself will kill the EFI fuse look closely at the EWD.

josher

July, 20, 2006 AT 7:39 AM

This sure seems like something a dealer would have checked in having my car 10 days. Please explain IACV & EWD. Also where is the temp sensor located?