ENGINER NOT STARTED

2001 Toyota Highlander

junmin

October, 29, 2007 AT 11:25 PM

I have toyota highlander 2001, 4 by 2, the very basic model.

I had intermittently engine start problem. Sometime I cann't start it.

Details as following: first I turned the key, all checking lights on, but no engine clicking sound; and after I hit the gas padel couple times, then turn the key, it can start again.

Please let know the cause. Thanks a lot.

October, 30, 2007 AT 12:07 AM

But no engine clicking sound; and after I hit the gas padel couple times, then turn the key, it can start again.

Do you mean when you turn key to start-Nothing happens or it cranks over and don't want to start?

Test the battery and make sure its connections are tight and clean then comeback and we'll get into the starting circuit-from the key all the way to the starter.

junmin

October, 30, 2007 AT 12:18 AM

Rasmataz: thanks for quick reply!

" Do you mean when you turn key to start-Nothing happens or it cranks over and don't want to start? &Quot; Yes. Only I hit the gas padel couple times, then it starts ok.

Ok, I will check battery and come back. Thx!

junmin

October, 30, 2007 AT 10:15 PM

Ok, I checked the battery, it is pretty clean, all connected well. There is a note on it saying " don't need maintenance". And on left side, there is a " indicator", don't know what is about.

October, 30, 2007 AT 10:58 PM

Do you have access to a voltmeter. Maybe that indicator is the electric eyeball that has a green color in it-is it? And what's the color? Telling you the condition of the battery, but I don't trust that eyeball. I trust my DVOM.

junmin

November, 1, 2007 AT 4:13 PM

Hi, the color of battery indicator is very blue, I doubt there is something wrong with battery. I can let pepboy or autozone to take a measure though if you insist

November, 1, 2007 AT 4:51 PM

Please do that. Have them do a battery capacity test-not just sticking the voltmeter and checking the available voltage. Get them to load test it.

junmin

November, 5, 2007 AT 8:29 PM

Rasmataz: my car was towed during this weekend, I have to pay almost $200 to get my car back this morning, so I still didn't get battery checked yet will do it tomorrow.

Ok, one more thing I think I didn't describe the probelm correctly.

Actually when I turned the key, the engine cranks over, then all of the engine/battery checking lights on, then the engine stops, and then all checking lights stay on.

junmin

November, 6, 2007 AT 8:30 PM

Ok, now the engine checking light is on!

junmin

November, 7, 2007 AT 10:19 PM

I had toyota dealer check the battery and the checking engine light.

They could find any problem with the battery, and the checking engine light on is due to the fact that the hose to air filter was loose, then blah blah.

Now the checking the engine light is off.

But today at one time, I still could not start the engine, and dealer had no idea about this since we could not reproduce the problem at the dealership.

acapo25

March, 9, 2008 AT 8:43 PM

I am having the same problem with my Highlander, periodically the engine won't start. The dealership can't replicate the problem. Battery brand new, starter and alternator checked out ok. When I put my foot on the pedal and give it gas, while turning the key after a couple of seconds it starts but with some hesitation and I usually have to do this a couple of times for the engine to catch. Any more thoughts as to what's going on?

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right