ENGINE TEST - REVVING

2009 Toyota Corolla

tommy7777

February, 5, 2010 AT 10:32 AM

2009 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 11000 miles

I had an issue with cruise control in my car. I was driving about 60 in cruise control and didn't realize that you needed to manually shut it off once you switched gears. I was going down a hill, stepped on the break and put it in neutral. For some reason, the cruise control didn't shut off but I didn't notice. As I was in neutral, the car suddenly revved to the red zone. Maybe 7500 and then went right down again. Could this have damaged the engine. The engine seems to be working fine and I know there is a revving limiter. The car was not cold or anything. Of course, I need to find out why the brake didn't shut off the cruise control.

February, 5, 2010 AT 10:51 AM

Hi tommy7777,

Thank you for the donation.

Yes, you are correct about the rev limiter and it would prevent the engine from over revving and damaging it. There should be no problem with the engine.

No, you need not manually turn the cruise control off to shift gears. When the brake or clutch pedal is depressed, the cruise control should cut off and seems you are having a problem with that. As vehicle is still rather new and under warranty, you should get it to the nearest dealer to have them look at it.

mmprince4000

February, 6, 2010 AT 8:05 AM

Also have dealer check to see if car is under recall for the gas pedal sticking.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars