SERPENTINE BELT AND TENSIONER

2006 Toyota Corolla

sleary11@yahoo.com

October, 17, 2008 AT 8:37 AM

Noises problem
2006 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 73000 miles

Hi
I brought my car to the dealership to get an oil change and asked them to check the belts. My car makes a VERY MINOR sqealing noise occasionally in the morning when it is cold and I start it, but goes away immediately. Of course, they say the belt and the tensioner need to be replaced, along with the normal laundry list of " suggested" (ie expensive) services. My husband and I do not believe this is the actual problem, as my husband said the sound would be much worse and frequent if that was the case. Does this seem like a problem my car could have with only 73000 miles on it?

mmprince4000

October, 18, 2008 AT 6:44 AM

It is possible that the tensioner/belt need to be changed, unusual on an '06 but possible.

I would have the tensioner and belt changed, and make sure you tell Toyota that you expect this repair to stop the squeak.

As far as the laundry list. Check the owners manual for scheduled maint. If it is on their list but not on the factory maint. Schedule, point that out to Toyota.

Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement Ford
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML