STEERING WHEEL SHAKES

1998 Toyota Corolla

jamesbond007

May, 12, 2008 AT 12:51 PM

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1998 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

My steering wheels shakes at high speeds like 70mph and car shakes too much (when compared to other cars)when going through uneven roads. I took it to a auto-repair shop, they checked it and said its due to my inner tire rod ends & the estimate for fixing it is upto $400. And another repair shop told me it might be due to tire balance problems. I called Toyota dealers and they said inner tire rod ends rarely have a problem and he has never seen any car having that problem till now.

What do you think the problem might be due to? Am I getting ripped off by these stores?

mmprince4000

May, 13, 2008 AT 7:48 AM

Jack up the front end and grasp the tire and pull horizontally and vertically looking for any movement, if none then tires are out of balance or camber/toe-in.
If you have movement it could be inner/outer tie rods, ball joints, or bearings.

Steering Pump Replacement Mercedes Benz