BAD LOW IDLE STALLS AT STOPLIGHT - HEAD

1994 Toyota Corolla

GreatMeloD

1994 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 247000 miles

10 days of headache. Please help: My car stalls and dies at the stoplight light. When I restart the car sometimes it works again but sometimes it won't. The idle is so low that I have to keep my foot on the gas so it doesn't die again. I changed my ignition cap and rotor, spark plugs, Fuel Pump and Strainer last week. Recharged the battery. Checked spark plug wires. I cleaned out my EGR, Throttle body, and idle air control. For the idle air control, I was not sure if it was working right or not, but it move with test it with a multimeter. I also checked the compression, and voltage from the battery. I don’t think it’s the alternator as it doesn’t die right after I turn on the car. No engine light shows up or anything else. A red engine light does show up after the car dies at the stop though. Do you know what might the problem is? Please let me know if you want me to give you anymore information. Hope to talk to you guys soon.

mmprince4000

January, 14, 2009 AT 7:07 AM

Start out by checking the ignition timing with a timing light. Retarded mechanical will cause a low idle.

The timing should be displayed on the inside hood sticker, but usually 10 degrees BTDC.

Also inspect the timing belt for wear/cracks/missing teeth.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars