CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

1989 Toyota Corolla

abigail1777

May, 16, 2010 AT 1:34 AM

1989 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

when I warm up the car for a good 5 minutes car functions fine. If I don't warm up the car for at least 5 minutes I'll be driving and all is well for about 10 minutes, then say I'm at a red light and take off normally speedometer is at 15mph then when I get to 20mph the car will hesitate/jerk once and then solid orange (not flashing) check engine light comes on and is on the rest of my way home from work. Why does check engine light come on if I don't properly warm up the car? Do I need a sensor? HELP!

May, 16, 2010 AT 2:45 AM

Hi abigail1777,

You would need to retrieve the trouble code to know what is causing the CEL to indicate.

I am having difficulty accessing our database to get information on how to go about retrieving the trouble codes.

If you are able to find the Diagnostic Link Connector underhood, use a jumper wire to bridge the TE2 and E1 terminal. Turn the ignition switch on and count the blinking of the CEL to retrieve the trouble code.

Let me know what you find.