CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, CANISTER VALVE?

1999 Toyota Corolla

rramaiah

July, 28, 2011 AT 6:30 PM

I have a 1999 Toyota Corolla with about 75K miles on it. Several weeks ago, the CHECK ENGINE light went on. I took it into a shop immediately. They said that the "canister valve" went bad and it'd cost $400 to replace it. Said it was a common problem with Toyota's and though it would have no effect on driving, I'd fail emissions. I thought it over for about a week, then suddenly the light turns off. Thought I'd dodged the problem, but then a week later, the light turns on again. This time, I was worried because I realized that my inspection sticker had a big 7 on it, meaning it was due at the end of July. I waited another week. The light turned off! I immediately took it to an inspection station and passed. A few more days pass and light turns back on. I honestly don't remember whether the light is on or off right now, but I'd like to know how serious a problem this is or if I should just wait it out. I read somewhere that it might have to do with a loose gas cap, so that's the first thing I tried: I bought a new gas cap. Any other ideas? Thanks!

July, 28, 2011 AT 6:42 PM

Go to autozone and have the computer scanned for code/s for free and comeback with it-- if any present post them -we start here

rramaiah

July, 30, 2011 AT 9:51 PM

Here's what the Autozone reports said (there were two): P0446 - Evaporative emission control system vent control circuit fault
Causes: - Open or short circuit condition
- Poor electrical connection
- Faulty CCV vent control solonoid

P0441 - Evaporative emission control system incorrect purge flow
Causes: - Leak in EVAP system
- Blocked EVAP purge line
- FAulty purge VSV

July, 31, 2011 AT 1:15 PM

Get it smoke tested

rramaiah

August, 2, 2011 AT 1:32 PM

Not sure what that is, but is it similar to what would be done during an emissions inspection? Because it passed that while the CE light was off for a few days.

rramaiah

August, 6, 2011 AT 6:45 PM

Thought I'd get more than just one-word answers from this site. Please refund my payment.

August, 6, 2011 AT 9:23 PM

You have a problem within the Evaporative emission control system, try having it smoke tested this will tell where its leaking.