Unsolvable Camry Engine Problem

BOROC7
  • TOYOTA CAMRY
Nobody can seem to understand what's wrong with my car. I have a Toyota Camry 1992 V6 XLE. When I drive it for longer periods of time (30+min), and then I get into a traffic situation or when I am going slow and am in first gear, I can hear a kind of whining fan noise coming from my engine that corresponds to how much accelerator I give it. When that starts to happen, my thermometer starts to go crazy and jump around, but it never overheats too much--yet. Sometimes it even drops a bit. Mostly, it bounces. Once I get to 2nd or 3rd gear and have some speed, the needle returns to normal and the sound stops. Then after that drive, when I leave the car and then come back to start it, the idle will drop immediately after it starts and stall, repeatedly. The only way I can drive it is if I give it a lot of gas and quickly start driving. This doesn't happen every time, usually on long drives. Any thoughts on this?
Tuesday, January 30th, 2007 AT 2:06 PM

LOSONE
There is a recall on that V-6 engine. They came with bad head gaskets and it will create odd symptoms like yours. Check out the VO-6 free Toyota recall.

Good luck losone
Monday, February 5th, 2007 AT 12:55 PM
LOSTINMARS
Toyota didn't recall this engine, they recalled the v6 engine in some of the pickups due to head gasket leaks.

You're car should have a hydraulic fan that operates off the p/s system. I'd start by check that out first.
Tuesday, February 6th, 2007 AT 9:22 PM