OIL LEAK @ DISTRIBUTOR

Toyota Camry

pastaheadray

July, 5, 2007 AT 8:48 PM

I have an ’88 Toyota Camry 2L 4 cyl Automatic with Front Wheel Drive. It has a slight oil leak at the Distributor Cap. I have a bad back and can no longer work on cars. Is this serious, or can I let it slide?
Much Thanks, Ray

Oil Leak From Engine

mmprince3000

July, 6, 2007 AT 6:43 AM

There is an O-ring that seals the distributor to the head. You remove the distributor, replace the O-ring and reinstall the distributor.

pastaheadray

July, 6, 2007 AT 7:44 PM

I'm aware of the O ring, but if I don't get to it right away, will I muck up the inner workings of the distributor?

Ray

jewelllsss

July, 6, 2007 AT 7:51 PM

You will not damage the distributor, but you could damage the engine if you do not keep it full on oil. Also it is not completely safe since the oil could leak and with the exaust it could catch fire. Not a for sure thing, but I have seen it happen. It is one of those things that it could be fine forever (as long as you keep it full of oil), or it could be hazardous. I would personally get it fixed as soon as I could.

Removing Stripped Drain Plug
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Replace Oil Pressure Sensor
Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front